What Came First the Chicken or the EGA?

Here is a Chinese silver belt buckle, made for a Marine c. 1930-40. Again, I believe this is the work of Peking jeweler Teh Ling based on the markings. His store was located close to the Marine Embassy compound, so we see a lot of his work around. A delicate, well made piece, but looks like they struggled with the EGA....which at first glance looks more chicken than eagle. Yet it is still a pleasing piece, that I am happy to add to the collection. Would love to see some Chinese made EGAs.

FullSizeRender.jpg

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Thats very nice.

Wonder if the jeweler was more accustomed to making things with the traditional peacock than an eagle?

Thanks guys! I guess I would like to see some other Chinese made Eagles to see why he was so off here. Another Fourm member got a beautiful Chinese silver trophy in and although the eagle is better far done, it does have some vague charactistics of this one. Yes, maybe a "Peking duck" EGA would be a better description....;)

I love it! Great China Marine acquisition, Dirk, Congrats! Bob

P.S. That sure doesn't look like the Western Hemisphere! Poetic license by the jeweler, perhaps?

Dirk,

That is a beautiful belt buckle. Here is a Chinese made EGA from a shooting trophy. This also looks like a chicken.

Dick

post-9487-0-70908000-1493319639.jpg