Funny looking m1881 Helmet

Redlegwolf

Kidding.

Just acquired this lovely m1872 Bent and Bush enlisted cavalry helmet. Been on the hunt for one for quite some time. Also, don't worry, after purchasing it, it will never be on a sytrofoam head again.

At the same time, though sort of unrelated, does anyone have any 1872 cavalry side buttons they would be willing to part way with? I need a loose set for my collection.

Also looking for original m1881 Artillery cords.

All the best.

post-153900-0-47489400-1493239821_thumb.jpg

Yeah that is Funny Looking B)

Great find I'll say. Question, Bent and Bush, a maker of the type? If so, a common or uncommon manufacturer of the type?

Yeah that is Funny Looking B)

Great find I'll say. Question, Bent and Bush, a maker of the type? If so, a common or uncommon manufacturer of the type?

Very common maker--they got a contract to make 8,500 on October 12, 1874 and another 800 n February 11, 1878. Crazy to think there are only helmets to survive of the 25,960 made though.

Trying to post some more pictures, but just got a mac and not sure how to make pictures smaller...

Horstmann made all the others except for 5000 made by Jas. G. Davis & Co.

Very common maker--they got a contract to make 8,500 on October 12, 1874 and another 800 n February 11, 1878. Crazy to think there are only helmets to survive of the 25,960 made though.

Trying to post some more pictures, but just got a mac and not sure how to make pictures smaller...

Horstmann made all the others except for 5000 made by Jas. G. Davis & Co.

Thanks for that bit of Info. Not being overly familiar with these, yours that you got looks complete, I imagine these are found more often than not with a few of there accouterments missing.

Thanks for that bit of Info. Not being overly familiar with these, yours that you got looks complete, I imagine these are found more often than not with a few of there accouterments missing.

Actually, the components are "findable" - it's that 1872 helmet body that is almost impossible to find.

Actually, the components are "findable" - it's that 1872 helmet body that is almost impossible to find.

Thanks Kurt, that makes sense, brings to mind old S&S Firearms here in Queens, back in the day (perhaps today still) they had parts for stuff like this.

Exactly. Sorry, I saw I had a typo in the numbers post. As I recall, there are about 24 bodies known to exist still.

Kurt, if you've got a lead on 72 cavalry buttons, I'm honestly at a point of resource exhaustion in looking for a set, and kind of relying on the good fortune of the forum.

Thanks Kurt, that makes sense, brings to mind old S&S Firearms here in Queens, back in the day (perhaps today still) they had parts for stuff like this.

I believe they sell primarily reproductions (but id'd and priced as such). I bought my repro M1881 helmet cords from them (couldn't find/afford real ones)

Kurt, if you've got a lead on 72 cavalry buttons, I'm honestly at a point of resource exhaustion in looking for a set, and kind of relying on the good fortune of the forum.

I have one '72 artillery button in my collection. Have never come across '72 cavalry buttons. If I ever find one, it will be for next to nothing at the flea market. (that's how I found my original 1872 helmet front plate).

S&S primarily deals in repros, but they had original artillery side buttons for a while; not anymore though. What branch side button do you have for a '72, Kurt? And what kind of cords are you looking for? I have another set of officer cords loose in the collection that I think are of later manufacture.

S&S primarily deals in repros, but they had original artillery side buttons for a while; not anymore though. What branch side button do you have for a '72, Kurt? And what kind of cords are you looking for? I have another set of officer cords loose in the collection that I think are of later manufacture.

My '72 button is artillery. (I think a bunch of artillery buttons were found at Bannerman's Castle in the 1960's before the big fire - that's where mine came from). I have repro Cavalry cords on my enlisted M1881 helmet. If I ever came across a reasonably priced original set of enlisted Cavalry cords, I'd consider them, but it's not a priority for me.

Here's an original M1872 helmet front plate and side artillery button. Most M1872 plates I have seen are reproductions. The easiest way to tell is the space between the "S" in Pluribus and "U" in Unum is slightly wider on the reproductions. And, if you examine it in person, an original M1872 plate is very thin (much thinner than the M1872 reproductions and original M1881 plates.) I think the original intent was to make the helmet as light as possible (can't imagine it really made a discernible difference)

post-322-0-23591700-1493330225_thumb.jpg

I believe they sell primarily reproductions (but id'd and priced as such). I bought my repro M1881 helmet cords from them (couldn't find/afford real ones)

Really :o I thought they had some original parts, but then I going back to the mid 70s (72-78) when they had their first location, a nice corner spot in another part of Glendale Queens, me and Bill the Patch were regulars then, but admittedly we were there for the great books he'd have and get in stock, and the WWII army patches he would now and then get in :D.