VMFA-512 Squadron patch

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

A recent find and a great looking 6" flight jacket patch! The served from the tail end of WWII through combat in Korea and on into Vietnam. I know it's an early patch and believe it dates to his service in Korea

post-93-0-83605100-1493205705.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

Makes sense and thanks! Fits into the Japanese made patch too. They did three tours from 65-70 and between tours were stationed in Japan.

\

VMFA-542 was ordered to Japan in April 1965 and deployed to Vietnam a few weeks later. From DaNang Air Base beginning July 10, 1965 they commenced air operations. The primary mission was providing air support to Marine ground forces. The first tour ended in December 1965 and they redeployed to Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan. The Tigers returned to South Vietnam late in the winter of 1966 and remained until mid-summer the following year when they again moved to Japan. The Tigers' third and final combat tour in SE Asia started on May 10, 1968. The last mission flown by the squadron was a night interdiction flight over Laos on January 13, 1970.

wartimecollectables.com

Slowly piecing the story together as the family brings things in. Vietnam 1965.

post-93-0-22163400-1493244519_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Wanted to add this VMA-542 patch to this older thread. This patch is more modern and dates to the AV-8B Harrier era. This patch is sewn onto Velcro and nicely used and slightly abused. Just the way I like my patches.

post-10825-0-72002100-1556753660_thumb.jpeg