Eagle's Nest bringbacks

Eagle's Nest

Eagle's Nest

I collect GI bringbacks from Berchtesgaden—and thought some of you guys would like to see this.

It's a large cake serving knife and AH-monogrammed beer coaster from the Eagle's Nest. They were brought back as part of a larger haul by Pfc Clarence Overman, 506 PIR, 101st Airborne, who was among the first to arrive in early May 1945.

The Eagle's Nest was actually rarely used, so both pieces are in mint condition, and just have a natural tarnish from age.

post-3671-0-25010800-1493195946_thumb.jpg

Eagle's Nest

As part of the group, I was also able to get Overman's 506 PIR and 101st Airborne scrapbooks, and the former is signed by him. He wrote a few of his buddy's names in the back of the 101st book. Who knows, maybe someone here will recognize one.

post-3671-0-59578700-1493196210_thumb.jpg

post-3671-0-20545200-1493196216.jpg

Eagle's Nest

While Overman was at Hitler's compound, he was interviewed by a Yank reporter—and his photo appears in the publication, along with a quote.

In the photo, Overman is sat in Hitler's Berghof office. Photo of this to follow...

post-3671-0-52394200-1493196345_thumb.jpg

post-3671-0-58320400-1493196352_thumb.jpg

Eagle's Nest

Hitler's Berghof office.

I've annotated the photo, to show approximately where Overman is sat in the Yank photo.

The point of reference is the cylindrical heater in the center of the photo - which you can see to Overman's left in the Yank photo.

post-3671-0-79152800-1493196541_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

Chris. Thanks for sharing your artifacts and all of the history about Mr. Overman. You really have an amazing collection!

Paul

While Overman was at Hitler's compound, he was interviewed by a Yank reporter—and his photo appears in the publication, along with a quote.

In the photo, Overman is sat in Hitler's Berghof office. Photo of this to follow...

looks like all the wood paneling is gone or removed and there is an alcove or door opening by the heater and behinde the vet where the wall appears to make corner

looks like all the wood paneling is gone or removed and there is an alcove or door opening by the heater and behinde the vet where the wall appears to make corner

Looking it over a few times, I'd have to agree Ron. My guess is that any wood was burned away.With that said, the heater looks to be a different style and there in clearly an opening and a corner that do not appear in the photo. Not that it make this photo any less cool but, is it possible he was in a different room?

Eagle's Nest

Thanks for all the comments, glad you guys like it.

As for the query on which room he's in – it's definitely Hitler's office. The Yank magazine annotation even describes Overman as being in Hitler's "Arbeitszimmer" or work room, on the second floor of the Berghof.

Doyler - you're quite right, all the wood panelling has been burned away as the Berghof was set alight by SS troops shortly before US and French troops arrived.

I've seen pictures of what is called Hitler's teahouse. Is that in the neighborhood of the Berghof? Hard to imagine having an artifact from there. Congrats.

Eagle's Nest

I've seen pictures of what is called Hitler's teahouse. Is that in the neighborhood of the Berghof? Hard to imagine having an artifact from there. Congrats.

That could be the Mooslahnerkopf teehaus [two-thirds down on that link], which was a short walk away from the Berghof. This was the teahouse Hitler used most often, whereas the Eagle's Nest was a car drive away up the mountain and used mainly for special occasions.