Theater-made knives source materials

Blacksmith

Warphmaster,

that is a piece of art for sure!! Let me know if you ever get tired of looking at it.

thanks for sharing.

I picked this one up years ago for a few dollars. Would it be accurate to call it a 'theater made' knife?

Most definitely qualifies... IMHO.

Nice.

Some great knives here! I have always thought that guys who were AAF ground crewmen were responsible for turning out so many of these. They had access to the scrap parts, machinery, and tools. Plus, once the aircraft left on a mission, their work was done and they had plenty of 'down time' while waiting for their return.

Wharf

Thats a beauty.Remember it posted before.Amazing work.

Also like the plexiglass laid between the two sections of the brass guard.

milcollector

Hi,

I love theater knives.

Here is one of my favorites. I got it from the vet many years ago.

His brother was a machinist and made it for him.

My photo is not too good.

The dagger shaped blade is double hollow ground on both sides.

Something you do not see on knives of that era very often. The symmetry of the ridges

and the hollows are just perfect.

He also made the sheath and put the vets name and 1943.

Thanks for looking, David

post-2620-0-38434400-1497409772_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I love theater knives.

Here is one of my favorites. I got it from the vet many years ago.

His brother was a machinist and made it for him.

My photo is not too good.

The dagger shaped blade is double hollow ground on both sides.

Something you do not see on knives of that era very often. The symmetry of the ridges

and the hollows are just perfect.

He also made the sheath and put the vets name and 1943.

Thanks for looking, David

Thats nice.

Thi belongd to an officr who was in an Anti Aircraft Bn attched to the 30t Inf Division

Made from a 1848 cut down British rifle Bayonet.

Handle is leather washer with a micarta pommel cap

post-342-0-64330000-1497412369_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-89519700-1497412416_thumb.jpg

Thi belongd to an officr who was in an Anti Aircraft Bn attched to the 30t Inf Division

Made from a 1848 cut down British rifle Bayonet.

Handle is leather washer with a micarta pommel cap

attachicon.gif1aknifebay.jpg

attachicon.gif1aknifebay1.jpg

In Memoriam--(*ROBERT K. SANDAGER*) passed away in Minneapolis, Minnesota on 26 March 2010 at the age of 95. Sandager, or "Sandy" as he was known by his friends, was Double Distinguished; he earned his International Distinguished Badge in 1949 and his Distinguished Rifleman Badge in 1959. Sandager was a member of the University of Minnesota Rifle Team in the late 1930s where made the first college rifle "All American" teams in 1936 and 1937. During World War II, Sandager saw distinguished service as an Artillery Captain in the 30th Infantry Division and participated in several historic engagements including the Battle of the Bulge. After the war, he competed in many international rifle matches including the 1949 World Championship in Buenos Aires, the 1952 World Championship in Oslo, the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, the 1954 World Championship in Caracas and the 1955 Pan American Games in Mexico City, He was a member of USA medal winning teams in 1949 and 1955. Sandager also commanded USAR Reserve service rifle teams that won numerous awards in national competitions. Throughout his life, Sandager continued to dedicate significant personal effort to promoting the shooting sports and 300-meter rifle competition in particular. In his regular visits to the Minneapolis Rifle Club's 300 meter range, his yearly goal was to shoot a 90 standing, a feat he achieved up to his 88th year. Robert K. Sandager was one of the leading U. S. rifle shooters of his era and he continued to be a leader and important contributor to the shooting sports throughout his life.

• 2 months later...

Here is another collage to add to the thread.

These are knives made at the Assembly & Repair facility at Marine Corps Air Station Mojave, these knives were made from salvaged material from scrapped airplanes, circa 1944.

post-56-0-33083500-1503697567.jpg

post-56-0-88336700-1503697579.jpg