Theater-made knives source materials

Blacksmith

schmooser

To better understand theater knives, I suggest getting a copy of Bill and Debbie Wrights book "Theater Made Knives of World War II". Maybe 99% of these knives can cost less than $100, some I have bought for $10. No one is going to "counterfeit" these knives for profit, unless copying a well-known maker. Those authentic examples are usually well-documented, and not for a beginner to be considering.

From the book - Many knives were made stateside and shipped overseas to servicemen for free. in 1943 Frank Martinelli of San Francisco stared a group called "SAVE A LIFE WITH A KNIFE". He advertised using radio, newspapers, etc to have people send knives of all types to him. The first month they sent 7,500 knives overseas. The only criteria was a 4" blade length.

• 3 weeks later...

To better understand theater knives, I suggest getting a copy of Bill and Debbie Wrights book "Theater Made Knives of World War II". Maybe 99% of these knives can cost less than $100, some I have bought for $10. No one is going to "counterfeit" these knives for profit, unless copying a well-known maker. Those authentic examples are usually well-documented, and not for a beginner to be considering.

From the book - Many knives were made stateside and shipped overseas to servicemen for free. in 1943 Frank Martinelli of San Francisco stared a group called "SAVE A LIFE WITH A KNIFE". He advertised using radio, newspapers, etc to have people send knives of all types to him. The first month they sent 7,500 knives overseas. The only criteria was a 4" blade length.

Hit some garage sales over the long weekend. (Found a couple nice paintings for resale to buy more knives.) This was in a $10 bin, along with a mint 1992 Buck 110. The guy in front of me was looking at it and fortunately decided to buy a beat up ground-down PAL RH-36 instead.

The blade is 4-1/2" long, 8-3/4" OAL.

This is my third example with green Plexiglas.

post-164571-0-61122900-1496084678_thumb.jpg

Blacksmith

That fuller makes me think it might have started life as a Cat 225Q.

Cool knife.

Thanks for sharing.

Hit some garage sales over the long weekend. (Found a couple nice paintings for resale to buy more knives.) This was in a $10 bin, along with a mint 1992 Buck 110. The guy in front of me was looking at it and fortunately decided to buy a beat up ground-down PAL RH-36 instead.

The blade is 4-1/2" long, 8-3/4" OAL.

This is my third example with green Plexiglas.

attachicon.gif $10 purchase 001.JPG

That fuller makes me think it might have started life as a Cat 225Q.

Cool knife.

Thanks for sharing.

The blade is half as thick as a 225Q but the fuller does look very similar. The fullers on each side are very well paired for size and location on the blade. Not sure any manufacturer was making fighting knives with 1/16" thick stock?

Too much distance from the top of the fuller to the back of the knife for a 225Q also. The length of the fuller on 3 Q225's I have come out to just short of 2 1/4 inches and they are very consistent, more examples may show that they varied more than what I have in my example set.

hbtcoveralls

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Micarta is very common in the construction of WWII aircraft.

Many of the control wire pullies are made of micarta as well as ammo boxes and other structures

Tom Bowers

Yes, micarta is a common component. The knife I posted has micarta, plexiglas, Bakelite, brass, and aluminum. Most of mine have 2 or 3 types at most.

Hello!

I also buy an occasional theater knife if it appears to be period authentic. In my opinion it is hard to tell unless it is marked in some unique way or maybe made from parts or pieces that appear to be made from scrap from that time period.

Here is a knife that I did buy close to 20 years ago. The blade is 6 1/2 inches.

It looks like the blade was made from an old file or some other piece of scrap metal. The handle is made with leather washers, aluminum and brass. The crossguard almost looks like a zinc type material. What got my attention is the blade is engraved with the date " Jan,15,1945". It is also engraved "Harry Adriance Jr" with " U.S.A " right below it.

I bought the knife at an Ohio flea market from a vendor who is from Pennsylvania. I asked the guy if he knew anything about the original owner but he did not other than to see he did pick it up at some sale in Pennsylvania.

Long story short, I now have some of his military records (with help from some of the members here) that show HARRY ADRIANCE entered the military on October 31,1944 from Pennsylvania. He served with Company A, 398th Infantry, 100th Division.

The part I don't know and probably will never know is whether the knife was made for him in the States and sent to him or whether an enterprising fellow in the motor pool made it for him out in the field. Either way, it is a neat knife!

When deciding to buy one of these knives, I always study them closely, looking for any markings (name, unit, serial number, date, location, maker).

Thanks for starting an interesting thread!

Kim

post-60-0-87900500-1496248493_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-89023400-1496248506_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-84712400-1496248518_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I have a few named knives but have not dug into their service records, yet.

For me, they are "trench art".I respect the time, effort, and creativity taken to make them. I have some I doubt were ever carried, and others that were definitely used and abused.

Here is one I posted prior. I doubt it was carried much, or even used?

Aluminum guard, very thin.

Not sure who/how the blade was made but very well-done.

Who would carry a bright aluminum sheath into combat?

post-164571-0-41745200-1496251502.jpg

post-164571-0-28112400-1496251503.jpg

The blade on the one above may be a old file.

Files were often sourced steel for blades

Saw and planer blades were also a favorite. I have heard of leaf springs being used as well.

another find local gun show.

This has 2 "firsts" for me: slanted spacers and bone, even the guard is bone.

post-164571-0-31633800-1496536394_thumb.jpg

Blacksmith

Wow gents, those are some really COOL examples, thank you for posting. I've also never seen slant spacers - very advanced worksmanship.

Thanks...I asked a few guys there selling militaria about theater knives. They said they have a few at home but no one has ever asked for one.

I also found a 225Q re-handled, at a nearby antique shop for $20. It was a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased this and another knife,uniform etc at a local vets estate auction.He was a Navy CB.

Pommel was stamped CBN (vets initials)

post-342-0-28849300-1497315552_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-82787400-1497315588_thumb.jpg