When was this jacket used?

trenchfoot

I bought this jacket a week ago and when I got it, it puzzled me! It's a late 1943 dated m43 jacket with modifications to accommodate a liner inside by adding a lot of buttons. There is 2 armored patches on it, a 2nd and a 4th armored. Is that even possible to be in 2 armored divisions at once? I just don't know what era this jacket could have been used in!

post-163344-0-53238800-1493071554.jpgpost-163344-0-63819500-1493071612_thumb.jpg

The one on the right sleeve would indacate his previous unit and the left his current unit. You dont usually see that on a field jacket. Dress jackets or class "A"s yes...

looks like a nice German made "Hell on Wheels" Tab

post WW2 to Korea and into the mid 1950's

Notice the subdued name tape. That puts this jacket's use into the late 1960's. I might add it was very common to have right shoulder patches on field jackets.

Thanks KirtA. I sure dont know it all....just never paid much attention to double patched field jackets. The name tags is right on.....good eye. ;)

Thanks for the info! Was it common for m43 jackets being used that late? What about the button modifications?

A friend of mine used an M43 Field jacket for his guard duty jacket in 1974 when at Ft.Carson.He found it in supply new old stock.Had all his insignias sewn on it.Had the pockets sewn down flat and wore it just for guard duty.He was never questioned about it.

Probably a late war M1943 upgraded to M1950 specs as an M1943-MQ-1 in 48-49. I've seen these with 50s insignia but never subdued. Subdued insignia was standardized in June 1967 so that's really the earliest this combo of insignia could be from. Very cool piece that proves that field jackets just keep on going.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6997-jacket-field-m1943-mq1/

. Subdued insignia was standardized in June 1967 so that's really the earliest this combo of insignia could be from.

And the 4th AD was inactivated in May 1971, so that's the latest it would have been worn.

4th Armored Div was deactivated in the early 1970's and reflagged as the 1st Armored Division in Southern Germany.

Probably a late war M1943 upgraded to M1950 specs as an M1943-MQ-1 in 48-49. I've seen these with 50s insignia but never subdued. Subdued insignia was standardized in June 1967 so that's really the earliest this combo of insignia could be from. Very cool piece that proves that field jackets just keep on going.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6997-jacket-field-m1943-mq1/

That's in regard to the tapes out side of South East Asia, July 1966 White NAME tape out, OD NAME tape in, full color U.S. ARMY tape remains, full color shoulder and rank and skill/qualification insignia remains. June/July 1967 full color U.S. ARMY tape out, OD U.S. ARMY tape in, full color shoulder and rank and skill/qualification insignia remains. Now that's the officially adopted dates, OD NAME and full color U.S. ARMY tapes were still seen a bit after the dates they were done away with, even with White name tapes still being seen on a few, not many guys, but a few.

We see that subdued NAME tape is a Nylon Ribbed type, so if a legit item, which seems good so far, would date from late spring early summer of 1968 on, the time these types came out. I'm wondering if this was an officer, as there's no sleeve rank, rank being metal pins on the shoulder loops that were removed.

Would not have a problem with the full color U.S. ARMY tape still being worn, as mentioned, in this period all sorts of combinations were being seen, White NAME tapes with full color U.S. ARMY tapes (less so) OD NAME tapes with full color U.S. ARMY tape, and both tapes OD, all along with full color skill/qualification badges.

This was a part of a grouping that was WAY overpriced, but I made a deal only for the jacket. The rest of the stuff was gear that would have been worn by an officer, so that would make sense. I'll look for pin holes on the shoulders.

I had a friend who insisted on wearing 1950's era field jackets in 1978. She just had a preference for a true collar as opposed to the shapeless M-65 collar.

I had a friend who insisted on wearing 1950's era field jackets in 1978. She just had a preference for a true collar as opposed to the shapeless M-65 collar.

That's right, as mentioned a few times in other topics, my long time Plt Sgt in the 4/9th Inf in 81-82 wore his old M51, faded to a pea green but serviceable, got it issued to him when he came in in 63, even used his first issued duffle, the old one with the single web strap :lol: .

Member The BEAR had worn an M43 when he was an Cadre Instructor at the Ft Benning Airborne School, and that was in the early 80s I seem to remember him saying, I think posted of photo of him wearing Black Cap and all, I'll have to look to see if I can find that old topic.

I had an Air Force N-3B parka with an early 1970's contract date that was issued out and used in the early 2000's. I purchased it directly from the vet at her garage sale about a year ago. It was an absolutely tiny Extra Small size, still put in military service 30-40 years after it was made!

TheMinistryOfAviation

Very informative thread.

I would have never thought these were used so late!

-Jeremy

Thanks for the info! Was it common for m43 jackets being used that late? What about the button modifications?

I remember being gobsmacked at my first guard drill to see a SSG wearing a M1943 Jacket in December 1984 and here I was wearing one of the New woodland M65's

C.co. 1/71st INF NYARNG

Later I found out a LOT of obsolete and old gear was still in use in NY state

I wound up being issued a front seam M1 with Khaki chinstraps and handed a Para chinstrap to put on after cutting off the old one.

Today I know the heresy that was

• 1 month later...
nagmashdriver

Dude,

You have something VERY rare, an M-1943 Q jacket. The difference is in the buttons sewn in the factory and the liner is as rare as a hen's tooth.

I have a Q for sale for many years but no sale because collectors didn't know what it was and were thus afraid that I've sewn the buttons in and made up a story....

This jacket led to the equally rare M-1950 field jacket produced in small numbers and refined into the M-1951 that we all know and love.

trenchfoot

Dude,

You have something VERY rare, an M-1943 Q jacket. The difference is in the buttons sewn in the factory and the liner is as rare as a hen's tooth.

I have a Q for sale for many years but no sale because collectors didn't know what it was and were thus afraid that I've sewn the buttons in and made up a story....

This jacket led to the equally rare M-1950 field jacket produced in small numbers and refined into the M-1951 that we all know and love.

Thanks for the info, however I did figure out what I had just recently. I'm not sure what I should do with the jacket just yet as it is pretty rare as you mentioned.