1st Recon Battalion M1 with custom paint

RichRaider

I picked this one up today online. I hate eBay, but I kept my top bid low and got lucky. The logo could be theater done or by the vet after returning home. No way to tell at the moment. The listing says the collector died and it was purchased at his estate sale. Unless I can find a name, it will probably just be a nice piece for display. I was in 1st Reconnaissance Battalion for a while and couldn’t help myself. Any thoughts?

post-164442-0-95239700-1492973979.png

Personally thought this was a fantasy piece possibly made up for a vet as something to put on the mantel at best.

Agree, but I still like it. Guess I'll get a better feel when it's in hand.

Also, Recon Marines didn’t really wear helmets on combat patrols. They almost always wore boonie covers or bandanas. Even if they wore their helmets on patrol, they wouldn’t want their unit symbol on their gear (even if it was under the helmet cover). The Vietcong would use this precious info to interrogate them and treatment would be much worse if captured. This is another reason I feel like this helmet is a little more legit. I can totally see a Recon Marine painting this helmet on his off time and displaying it in his barracks on the fire base. If it was a display piece on a mantel, why all the damage.

I guess we all use our imagination to rationalize our purchases. Unless I get some provenance, its just a guess.

-Rich

iron bender

This is a helmet liner my dad painted in 1967. It was done as a memento only and he never used it as a liner. It sat on a book shelf at my parents' house in Copperas Cove while he was overseas. All subsequent use and torture was done by me and my brother and our friends playing war in the yard in the 70's. I recall when it was like new. Anyhow, the idea that the above helmet is a memento/souvenir is very likely in my opinion. I think it's a really cool addition to a 'Nam era helmet collection.

post-166807-0-81714900-1492981810_thumb.jpg

This is a helmet liner my dad painted in 1967. It was done as a memento only and he never used it as a liner. It sat on a book shelf at my parents' house in Copperas Cove while he was overseas. All subsequent use and torture was done by me and my brother and our friends playing war in the yard in the 70's. I recall when it was like new. Anyhow, the idea that the above helmet is a memento/souvenir is very likely in my opinion. I think it's a really cool addition to a 'Nam era helmet collection.

attachicon.gifIMG_0789.JPG

Thats a really nice liner. Its cool that you have some of your dads military gear and remember the story behind it.

I agree that the helmet could have been painted when the veteran was home, but service members tend to have a lot of free time when not out on a mission. I remember deploying and have a huge amount of free time when we were on the FOB. Idle hands need something to do and I think its just as likely that he painted it in his spare time while deployed. Still, I know its unlikely that I will get an answer. Thanks for all the input.

-Rich

Couple of thoughts. Maybe worn by Marines going through selection? Possibly some type of shipboard Color Guard? The grey paint is throwing me.

Couple of thoughts. Maybe worn by Marines going through selection? Possibly some type of shipboard Color Guard? The grey paint is throwing me.

Perhaps he "liberated" it from a ship?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

With it being a front seam with sewn chinstraps and a WWII liner I don't think it is a fake, fakers tend to use Vietnam Era helmet for Vietnam and save the late WWII helmets for WWII.

Sure look like a navy lid to me with that grey paint and the rust, I wonder if it was "liberated" from a rack on a ship and maybe even painted while on the ship.

Im guessing a MARINE on sea duty took the helmet off the ship and painted the insignia on the helmet and brought it back as a souvenir in his sea bag

he probably just picked one right out of the rack on the ship he was serving on and used it for his art work.

Perhaps he "liberated" it from a ship?

I agree that it was a trade or gear adrift when the Marine found it on ship. I know that many Marines were transported to Vietnam on ships. This may have been an opportunity to get and paint the helmet. I made out well with this purchase.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

-Rich