New M3

Gilles

Hi,

I found this week this M3 who served in the French army. The number on the pommel indicates its use in the French army. The French army used M3s until 1996. From this date the armaments office gave orders to destroy them all.

camill10.jpg

camill12.jpg

camill13.jpg

camill11.jpg

camill14.jpg

camill15.jpg

camill16.jpg

camill17.jpg

camill18.jpg

camill19.jpg

Best regards from France

Gilles

I like the interesting way the paratrooper carries the M3. Giles, you have a very nice Camillus guard marked M3 which appears to only have scabbard wear, and has the original edge. Does not appear to have ever been sharpened. Thanks for showing. SKIP

Beautiful M3. Are M3's easy to come by in France since they were in use until '96 or were most destroyed?

Not easy to find a beautiful M3 used by the French army because they have been used intensively since the WW2.Most were destroyed in furnaces when the order was given.NCOs managed to save some of the destruction.

Were any French companies licensed to make M3's or were they all US made? Camillus knives were made about 60 miles East of where I live. Sadly, after a long knife making history, the company is no longer.

Were any French companies licensed to make M3's or were they all US made? Camillus knives were made about 60 miles East of where I live. Sadly, after a long knife making history, the company is no longer.

After WW2 France bought large stock of M3 in the USA. France has never made a M3

French Foreign Legion during Indochina war (Dien Bien Phu)

34267110.jpg

The French army used many US knives

Battle of Kolwezi 1978 (MK1 Colonial and M3) French foreign legion.

2lo3r410.jpg

Algerian war 1954-1962 (MK2 and M3)

38379910.jpg

38402610.jpg

96865510.jpg

98002710.jpg

big_3010.jpg

big_3011.jpg

big_3012.jpg

The French army used many US knives

Yes, also including fighting knives made from US M1917 bayonets. i have seen pictures of paratroopers carrying these in Kolwezi.