MCAS Tustin

PeleliuMarine1944

PeleliuMarine1944

MCAS Tustin started being built in 1942 and construction ended in 1943 they are the lrgest wooden structures in the world, and today they sit and rust. The base is two gicantic wooden hangars surrounded by an abandoned airfield and abandoned buildings. The buildings surrounding the hangars are crumbling, and in 2015, the roof of one of the hangars collapsed damaging a blimp that was left for storage. Here I will attach some links of photos that were taken when it was still active.

http://www.tustinhistory.com/photos-lta.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Corps_Air_Station_Tustin

post-162210-0-15942500-1492933897_thumb.jpg

That is about 10 miles from where I grew up. As a kid, I saw many Marine helicopters fly over and I said to myself, " I Want to do that when I grow up". I was lucky and blessed to fly Helicopters for the Corps, and even was able to fly out of Tistin for about 6 months prior to it closing down.

Thanks for posting

I grew up in Santa Ana (son of a retired Marine officer) so I went out to El Toro and (as we still called it in the 60s & 70s) LTA. I was able to go through the hangers a few times.

That Loon who built Noah's Ark Park back East claims his ark is the largest wooden structure in the world. No it isn't. I compared the measurements of the ark with these hangers and the hangers win hands down.

Steve

PeleliuMarine1944

That is about 10 miles from where I grew up. As a kid, I saw many Marine helicopters fly over and I said to myself, " I Want to do that when I grow up". I was lucky and blessed to fly Helicopters for the Corps, and even was able to fly out of Tistin for about 6 months prior to it closing down.

Thanks for posting

Oh wow!! That's amazing!! Thank you for sharing. I live about a mile or two away. Its a great place to explore!

PeleliuMarine1944

I grew up in Santa Ana (son of a retired Marine officer) so I went out to El Toro and (as we still called it in the 60s & 70s) LTA. I was able to go through the hangers a few times.

That Loon who built Noah's Ark Park back East claims his ark is the largest wooden structure in the world. No it isn't. I compared the measurements of the ark with these hangers and the hangers win hands down.

Steve

haha! Yep! The hangars are extremely massive, I didn't realize how big they were until I was standing right below them!