What is written on Forest Gump's Vietnam M1 helmet mitchell cover?

Adrian6256

Hey guys, So this has been bugging me forever! I've searched all over, and cant seem to figure out what is written on Tom Hank's helmet for the Vietnam scene in Forest Gump. I believe the band has something written on it as well. I've searched the forum, and couldn't find anything. Have any of you guys seen the prop helmet in person? or know the story behind it? Its just a cool prop that I'd love to know more about.

Thanks

Adrian

post-158668-0-70987700-1492904024.jpg

Sure looks like GINM... but maybe it's Ginnie?? Though I always figured it was Jenny in the show...

That was my first thought as well. But i cant figure out why they would spell it differently.

MOVIEPROP.COM'S PROP/COSTUME COLLECTING PAGES

PRICE GUIDE BY TELEVISION SHOW OR MOVIE

http://www.movieprop.com/forrestgump.htm

Forrest Gump Tom Hank's Army Helmet, Gump written inside, and autographed "Tom Hanks 'Forrest Gump" on the outside

Profiles In History June 1-2 1996 A Collector's Ransom II

Lot 204 Auction Estimate 700-900 Price Realized $2,520

From a screenshot I took I could read - G(NMI……141. Where the periods are the bug juice got in the way.

Band,Helmet,Camoflage....this is typical of the band.

Haha, sometimes you can be blinded by the most obvious things.

Thanks

pararaftanr2

It is definitely "G(NMI)..............41". I'm guessing "G" for "Gump", "no middle initial", followed by an "F" for "Forest" and his partial service number.

post-9787-0-38477400-1492907473_thumb.jpg

It is definitely "G(NMI)..............41". I'm guessing "G" for "Gump", "no middle initial", followed by an "F" for "Forest" and his partial service number.

Thats a great movie still. Thats a clear explanation, and makes a lot of sense!

Thats a great movie still. Thats a clear explanation, and makes a lot of sense!

I think maybe his DOB. 47 would have been about right.

Edit. Nope. He was born in 45.

Never saw anybody use a partial service number so I don't know what the 41 or 47 is.

Okay, I think I have it. Gump was in the 9th ID. A co. 2nd bn 47th Inf Regt. So it's G(nmi) F 2/47

I believe you are correct, I just watched and there's definitely a "/" before what is clearly the number 47. "F 2" is blocked by the insect repellent.

I believe you are correct, I just watched and there's definitely a "/" before what is clearly the number 47. "F 2" is blocked by the insect repellent.

I agree that the last digit looks like a 7, because of the slant. You guys do amazing work!

Adrian

Okay, I think I have it. Gump was in the 9th ID. A co. 2nd bn 47th Inf Regt. So it's G(nmi) F 2/47

Is this information mentioned in the movie? I know he's in the 9th ID. Its cool how you may have solved the mystery.

Adrian

I don't mean to throw a wrench into things, but Forest's best good friend Bubba also had writing on his cover. I think there is a clear shot of it in the movie, i need to check it out again.

post-158668-0-41084800-1493000725_thumb.jpg

This is off his Wiki character profile: ..........

While in Vietnam, and assigned to company A, 2/47th Infantry, 3rd Brigade, 9th Infantry Division,[3] Forrest and Bubba meet their platoon leader Lieutenant Dan Taylor, whom Forrest would refer to as "Lieutenant Dan". While on patrol, Bubba proposed that he and Forrest go into the shrimping business together after their time in the army was finished, and Forrest agreed.

TheMinistryOfAviation

Is this information mentioned in the movie? I know he's in the 9th ID. Its cool how you may have solved the mystery.

Adrian

I imagine him being in Company A, 2/47th Infantry, 3rd Brigade, 9th Infantry Division it's mentioned in the 1986 book.

I wonder if what's on his helmet is also mentioned in the book. Seems like one of those random details the author may have actually included.

-Jeremy

ParanormalTrooper

I imagine him being in Company A, 2/47th Infantry, 3rd Brigade, 9th Infantry Division it's mentioned in the 1986 book.

I wonder if what's on his helmet is also mentioned in the book. Seems like one of those random details the author may have actually included.

-Jeremy

I must say that the author of the book (Winston Groom) is actually quite well versed in American History, and I wouldnt be suprised if he did included that. He wrote Forrest Gump, and the WWII non fiction book "1942: The Year that Tried Mens Souls", which is a FANTASTIC WWII book about largely the PTO in the early days of the war.

Also the author fought as an officer in the Army during 'Nam so i'd imagine he knew a fair bit about Vietnam gear lol.

Collectors are funny (looking for a reasonable military explanation).

Considering the story and all, I'd bet a dollar it says "ginny" (possibly with bad printing and or misspelling - because Forrest was a little slow)

Collectors are funny (looking for a reasonable military explanation).

Considering the story and all, I'd bet a dollar it says "ginny" (possibly with bad printing and or misspelling - because Forrest was a little slow)

The guy was slow, but he could spell.

Adrian

post-158668-0-65068400-1493231036_thumb.png

Sounds like a pretty safe bet. Don't know how you could get "ginny" out of this?

Definitely would be a safe bet. :) Sometimes I think people skim threads without actually reading what has already been posted. :blink:

ParanormalTrooper

Definitely would be a safe bet. :) Sometimes I think people skim threads without actually reading what has already been posted. :blink:

+1

Garandomatic

The first picture was from the front corner, not the side, and I was looking at my cell phone because I never seem to be the one on the computer anymore...