Mustard Gas Can Bomb

one50

This topic has been talked about before back in 2013, see link below.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/194712-hd-gas-can/?hl=%2Bmustard+%2Bgas+%2Bcan&do=findComment&comment=1511503

I just picked one up for my gas collection and I can't wait to get it in my hot little hands.

My wife is nervous that it might have Mustard in it still...I had to have a friend reassure her that it was never filled in the first place :)

Would anyone happen to know what the detonator would look like that would have been attached to the wires?

I might have to mock this up for my display.

Thanks for looking and enjoy.

Dan

post-939-0-18717000-1492567594_thumb.jpg

post-939-0-43374500-1492567608_thumb.jpg

HD is another name for Mustard...thus my confusion.

What is that manual you have. I need to find me a copy of that.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Found this doing a little more research...from wikipedia.

"The M1 was a U.S. chemical landmine. It developed in 1939, and consisted of a one gallon (4.5 liter) gasoline can filled with 9.9 lbs (4.5 kg) of mustard gas agent. As issued, it had no bursting charge or fuze, but required a bursting charge of detonating cord to be attached via soldered tabs on the outside of the can."

What do you think?

While I love chemical stuff and have lots of documentation on these kind of items...I have nothing on this.

I have to keep digging.

OMG guys...I have a serious problem.

I'm looking up info on this set and came across this pic online.

post-939-0-41047100-1492576292_thumb.jpg

I have a bottle exactly like it with some red thick liquid in it...I always thought is was "theater blood".

I have had it since I was a kid...never opened it.

The bottle is not marked, but what gets me is the color of the gas in this photo...same color as my stuff.

The lid is exact too....I kept it in the garage by my nuts and bolts, which is next to my kids yard toys.

I'M FREAKING OUT...I can't find it now.

If I find it, who do I contact?

I'll post a pic if I find it...I hope I do.

Stay tuned.

Dan

FOUND IT, my heart can slow down now....Just tore my garage apart at 12:30 in the morning.

The cap is different...so my memory is incorrect....Praise the Lord.

But what do you guys think?

I'm not gonna open it.

I apologize for the previous drama.

I'll keep the previous post just so we can enjoy the moment, and learn from it.

I just don't want to be that guy that collects Chemical stuff and dies from an unmarked bottle of Sulfur Mustard.

Thanks

Dan

post-939-0-61379500-1492577671_thumb.jpg

Yeah, would be nice if somebody could empty it's contents...You could than replace the stuff with transmission fluid or cough syrup...Bodes

The bottle I have is not labeled in any way.

If you look closely at my bottle though, you see the white specks...looks to me like letters scrapped off and the specks are something left over that use to be there.

I used my 10x loupe to look at the specks.

The plot thickens.

Doing yet more research online and I came across a program the military had through out the years.

They would have these little bottles filled of various chemicals so they could simulate and do training with the real deal.

The army kit K941, (toxic gas set M1) from WWII to the late 50's included 24 - 4 ounce round bottles of neat H, HS and HD

So this bottle might not be for the HD Gas mine above, it's might be part of the kit used to train with the real deal.

Form the 1950's on the kit came with 28 glass heat sealed ampoules.

The military has a disposal program for said items.

I may have to contact them and just let this thing go.

Thoughts on contacting the military disposal program?

Thanks

Dan

Final comment on the subject of the bottle for me.

The bottle I have is not a 4 OZ bottle as mentioned in the K941 kit.

My bottle might be 2 OZ at best.

Drama over...but I will still not open it.

Dan

This thread is going to have me thinking about "Schrodinger's Cat" all day. :blink:

:D "Schrodinger's one50" doesn't have the same ring to it though!

Working at one point with MSDS and haz mat one thing stands out...unlabled containers are never a good idea to have around.

You may know whats in it but the next person wont.

What happens if it breaks or gets knocked off a shelf?

Your kids or the neighbors kids open it as it looks cool or like fake blood?....It may be old cough syrup or merthiolate but why risk it.

Simple logic if you dont know what it is why keep it around.

268thCA, you remember where we found those? What , almost 30 years ago??? Mines's ( no pun intended) around somewhere. Miss the flea market at " The Gap".

Garandomatic

Oddly enough i discovered the same 2 oz bottle in my kitchen cupboard... Got a busy that is a bit of a rare bourbon connoisseur, so mine is about half full of some crazy barrel proof (like 140) mega top shelf whiskey!

Here is a photo out of a a September, 1943 dated, STUDY GUIDE - CHEMICAL WARFARE, Pamphlet No. 2. It shows three ways to detonate the chemical mine using various methods. A fourth method not shown is to take an electrical detonating cap and inserting it in the burster tube.

Bob

post-299-0-27875600-1492822124_thumb.jpg

River Patrol

HD has one meaning for the Army, and that is, as stated above, sulfur mustard - and oddly enough to add to the confusion, it is not a gas, but an oily liquid.