HBT Suit to ID

mb399579

Hello,

I found this HBT suit in a flea market this sunday. It doesn't look like the others I've seen before.

I've done a close examination but I didn't find any marking. There are former stitching marks (4 blank sewing thread points on the 1st picture).

Do you know this pattern ?

Thanks

img_0617.jpg
img_0614.jpg
img_0615.jpg
img_0616.jpg

It has that GI look, perhaps it's a commercially made one, a period one, like post WWII/early 50s. If so, GIs could buy them to wear, we use as an example all those Army-Navy Store HBT/OD Cotton Sateen Fatiques, and Field Jackets, that were worn in this same time period.

pararaftanr2

To me, it looks like a typical 2nd pattern HBT suit, but with the type of buttons usually found on (but not exclusive to) Navy contract HBT clothing. Look in the neck area for signs of an ink-stamped contract number or inside one of the lower front pockets for a white fabric label.

These were typically worn by Sea Bees, or other Navy land-based troops. They were also used as an alternative to purpose-made Navy flight suits, as shown by the Hellcat pilot on the left in the photo below:

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-63874900-1492690397_thumb.jpg

Navy eh, I could buy that, but first some observances, that buckle, what is it, bake-light or leather covered? is it me or does the front pockets seem smaller than in the one posted of the flyer? Those tack buttons also look Army, that, and the lack of tags made me think Commercial, as they used stocks of surplus tack buttons.

In this topic we're seeing examples of tack buttons in their various forms, the Navy one has a wreath with one star while the Army type has a wreath with five stars.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/269873-2lt-fatigue-top-and-helmet-liner/

Hi,

Thank's everybody. I'm not at home today, but I think the size of the pockets is the same than the one illustrated in the flyer picture. There is a little deformation in the picture as the suit has been shooting on the floor. I will post another picture with the suit worn by one of my sons.

Bertrand

pararaftanr2

For what it's worth, it is my experience that two like items, made by two different contractors, will tend to have subtle differences in detail.

In the case of buckles, on the waist belts of flight suits, for example, the same spec. suit may have a painted metal buckle from one manufacturer and a molded plastic one from another, or the shape may be different. On Navy contract HBT clothing, for another example, you may find two or three patterns of metal buttons used on various items. It would appear that there was room given to the manufacturers in terms of adherence to strict specifications, or in the case where the specs. were not overly detailed, the manufacturers made there own decisions.

I agree.

I have a tan flight suit with a plastic molded buckle.

Also appears the two pilots on the right in photo wear the nylon green flight suit.

Hi,

Excepted the 4 blank sewing thread points on the chest (see the 1st picture), I didn't any tag.

Bertrand