U S Military Aviator Badge. Blackinton? Thoughts? Modern reproduction

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

U S Military Aviator Badge. Blackington? Thoughts?

The story goes that this badge was worn in the WW2 era by a WW1 aviator. It was given to a friend in the 1990's, Any thoughts, opinions, information appreciated.

Andy

post-154922-0-60231200-1492090826.jpg

post-154922-0-20217500-1492090844.jpg

These were produced by Blackinton in the 1980's and 1990's.

Just curious and trying to learn....Were these a copy of something actually worn by WWI aviators or was this something new produced in the 80's?

...Kat

The above badges are restrikes from the 80's-90's and show the late VH Blackinton back mark.

The original badges by the Rock Island Arsenal were only awarded to the first 23 aviators.

The Blackinton badges were most likely first struck, for unknown reasons, during WWI.

Possibly as replacement or just as a general patriotic item, nobody knows.

They were usually unmarked till about 1930 when Blackinton began using the

"STERLING BY BLACKINTON" back mark.

Personally I have seen at least one legitimate badge with this mark.

To be clear, pilots winged after these original aviators did not wear this badge.

There is a pinned thread with great information-

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30147-the-original-24-military-aviators-photographs/

John

Here is a photo of a real one. This is the one that is in the U.S. Air Force Museum. They were made of 14K gold and are finely detailed. If you compare this one to the Blackington reproduction you will see that there is no comparison. There are arguments as to whether there were 27 or 28 of these badges made, but whichever it is, the chances of finding a real one as opposed one of the many reproductions are close to zero. Still, one never knows.

post-166073-0-12230000-1492198054_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of a real one. This is the one that is in the U.S. Air Force Museum. They were made of 14K gold and are finely detailed. If you compare this one to the Blackington reproduction you will see that there is no comparison. There are arguments as to whether there were 27 or 28 of these badges made, but whichever it is, the chances of finding a real one as opposed one of the many reproductions are close to zero. Still, one never knows.

Kimo,

I was just out at the Air Force Museum in Dayton a month ago and unfortunately, I must report that this badge is no longer on display.

The Badge on display is a Blackington type (with large rings; so a more modern one). I went out of my way to go see the badge, figuring it would be one of the few chances ever to see a real one--only to be terribly disappointed to find it was one of the modern strikes.

I cannot say what happened to the original badge. I asked a docent and they had no idea what I was even talking about. Being an artifact made of metal, I can think of no preservation reason to take it off display. Additionally, the display is built into a wall, and not accessible to the public--so I don't think it was a security issue.

I half wonder if someone didn't steal the original badge and replace it... I sure hope thats not the case.

Chris