WWI WWII vet ribbon rack: star on WWII Campaign ribbon?

Bob Hudson

So is this a nicely done fantasy piece? If not, then I'd assume it was made up for shadow box many years after WWII (based on the ribbon rack hardware mount).

What is the star on the WWII victory medal? I don't think I've seen that before.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Two victories? One for Europe and one for the Pacific? But, the criteria does not state that so maybe the veterans misinterpretation or a well intentioned family member trying to honor vets service via a shadow box?

The criteria does not reference stars for subsequent awards so it appears one award for 1 individual and criteria was 1 day on active duty during the award period when it was authorized.

The ribbon rack looks modern to me. What is your basis for an older rack?

I found the following post online:

World War II Victory Medal

Authorized by an Act of Congress on July 6, 1945 and awarded to all members of the Armed Forces who served at least one day of honorable, active federal service between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946, inclusive.

"The front of the medal depicts the Liberty figure resting her right foot on a war god's helmet with the hilt of a broken sword in her right hand and the broken blade in her left hand. The reverse contains the words, FREEDOM FROM FEAR AND WANT, FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND RELIGION, and UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 1941-1945. The red center stripe of the ribbon is symbolic of Mars, the God of War, representing both courage and fortitude. The twin rainbow stripes, suggested by the World War I Victory Medal, allude to the peace following a storm. A narrow white stripe separates the center red stripe from each rainbow pattern on both sides of the ribbon. The World War II Victory Medal provides deserving recognition to all of America's veterans who served during world War II.

No attachments are authorized although some veterans received the medal with an affixed bronze star which, according to rumors at the time, was to distingiush those who served in combat from those who did not. However, no offical documentation has ever been found to support this supposition. Although eligible for its award, many World War II veterans never actually received the medal since many were discharged prior to the medal's institution."

Immediately after the ribbon was issued some servicemembers who served overseas placed the star on their ribbon to indicate overseas service in order to distinguish themselves from those who did not.

It was an unofficial practice that became so widespread that Stars and Stripes carried an article advising army personnel that it was unauthorized.

This group was likely copied from the vets originals based on the star and the fact they are not in proper order.

I have a star on a 3 piece 1/2" ribbon rack that also has a star on the victory medal ribbon. I was told exactly the same thing as above.

Jumpin Jack

Good morning Bob. My thoughts are that the rack is post war assembled considering the very poor positioning of the ribbons. We all know that this happens, but this specimen is really bad. As for the star on the Victory ribbon, this was a rather common practice, usually done to signify the victories over Germany and Japan, however unofficial. Jack

Somewhere around here, there's a thread about stars on Victory medals. Jack nailed it though.

And yes, this rack looks like it was probably put together in the 80s.

The ribbon rack looks modern to me. What is your basis for an older rack?

No, actullay I thought it looked "modern" (which can still mean its 50 years old). The ribbons are marked SUSCO and/or S-21 which was the mark used by SUSCO distributor Harry Sugarman Inc. (which was owned by Zales Jewelry after 1969). I imagine it was put together long after the war - as I said above most likely for display. The ribbons slip on and off easily so I could see where someone might have played with them asnd rearranged a couple.

Ditto to the above, I have a WWII victory ribbon with a star, was told it was to indicate combat service for the non infantry troops who would not have received a CIB but did see combat, so I suppose it could've been done for both reasons

Roger that. I was just wondering. Scary though seeing some the stuff from 50 years ago or newer being old. Like me.?

No, actullay I thought it looked "modern" (which can still mean its 50 years old). The ribbons are marked SUSCO and/or S-21 which was the mark used by SUSCO distributor Harry Sugarman Inc. (which was owned by Zales Jewelry after 1969). I imagine it was put together long after the war - as I said above most likely for display. The ribbons slip on and off easily so I could see where someone might have played with them asnd rearranged a couple.

There have been a few theories put forward on the star: denoting combat or frontline service / denoting overseas service / overseas at the time of victory, etc. Really, it just came down to however the vet felt he justified it, but it was always unofficial as mentioned above.

Further to the discussion of devices, I think (emphasis on think) the WWI CdG (way out of order - should be last) always had a device if awarded to an individual. Bronze, silver star, or palm depending on the level of citation. Unit award would be worn as a fourragere.

Further to the discussion of devices, I think (emphasis on think) the WWI CdG (way out of order - should be last) always had a device if awarded to an individual. Bronze, silver star, or palm depending on the level of citation. Unit award would be worn as a fourragere.

Interestingly, I have a jacket from a WWI/WWII retread, and he doesn't have anything on his CdG ribbon, but I do believe I've seen them with such devices elsewhere.

Here are two reasons for a star being found on the WWI Victory Medal:

WWI Victory Medal of a “Soldier” who severed in France as a non-combatant

- The medal's service ribbon was misused by Army personnel seeking their own identity from those with state side service only. Some started placing an unauthorized 3/16 bronze battle star on the service ribbon. This practice was reported to the Adjutant General's Office. Major General Peter C. Harris, Adjutant General, instructed all U.S. Army commanders to: discipline all active military personnel under their command for wearing an unauthorized battle star on the service ribbon. This unauthorized practice all goes back to the Army for not distinguishing their personnel with a separate insignia on the service ribbon of those with service, with the A.E.F.

WWI Victory Medal of a “Sailor” who was awarded one of the 19 Duty Clasps

- According to regulations, Navy and Marine Corps personnel who had earned more than one clasp had to choose a single Duty clasp to which they were entitled. Additionally, they would have been entitled to one 3/16 inch bronze “Duty star” on their service ribbon. Those Naval personnel without service in France, England, Italy, Russia or Siberia, worn their service ribbon without a device.

From Expanded Ed., World War I Victory Medals, James Michels sale by Amazon.com

Here are two reasons for a star being found on the WWI Victory Medal:

WWI Victory Medal of a Soldier who severed in France as a non-combatant

- The medal's service ribbon was misused by Army personnel seeking their own identity from those with state side service only. Some started placing an unauthorized 3/16 bronze battle star on the service ribbon. This practice was reported to the Adjutant General's Office. Major General Peter C. Harris, Adjutant General, instructed all U.S. Army commanders to: discipline all active military personnel under their command for wearing an unauthorized battle star on the service ribbon. This unauthorized practice all goes back to the Army for not distinguishing their personnel with a separate insignia on the service ribbon of those with service, with the A.E.F.

WWI Victory Medal of a Sailor who was awarded one of the 19 Duty Clasps

- According to regulations, Navy and Marine Corps personnel who had earned more than one clasp had to choose a single Duty clasp to which they were entitled. Additionally, they would have been entitled to one 3/16 inch bronze Duty star on their service ribbon. Those Naval personnel without service in France, England, Italy, Russia or Siberia, worn their service ribbon without a device.

From Expanded Ed., World War I Victory Medals, James Michels sale by Amazon.com

The OPs question concerned the star on the WWII victory ribbon.

yes thanks for the come back

I was just adding a little info on the WWI VM. So just maybe that person building a service rack and having seen a star on a WWI VM some where, believed that there should also be one on a WWII VM.

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a nice WW2 studio picture of an AAF sergeant in an Ike jacket.....On top of his ribbon bar is the Asiatic-Pacific theatre w/2 stars on the left, and WW2 Victory w/star on the right..

Below is Good Conduct on the left, American Defense in the middle, and American Campaign on the right.....Hope this further helps clarify these are legitimate wartime additions provided any one has their doubts....

On his pocket flap are Technician badge w/AP Mechanic bar on the left, Expert badge w/bullseye and unknown bar to the right....Bodes