BDU With Interesting But Mundane Insignia

seanmc1114

I know that BDU's have become more collectible in recent years so I thought I would post this interesting one I picked up at a flea market. There is nothing particularly rare or unusual about the insignia combination. But what is interesting is the style of insignia on it. It has a standard merrowed edge Transportation Center and School SSI on the left sleeve. No big deal there. However, the combat patch is a first issue (1960s) subdued on twill U.S. Army Vietnam SSI. Next of note is the nametape that looks like it was machine embroidered in Korea or even possible Vietnam. Finally, the U.S. Army tape looks like one of the style that was factory embroidered and introduced in the mid to late 1960s but it looks like someone removed the merrowed edge normally found on these. All in all just an odd assortment of insignia for a BDU.

post-1761-0-02094400-1492005501.jpg

Nothing extremely rare about the USARV SSI other than it was probably several years old by the time it was put on this uniform.

post-1761-0-79480200-1492005574.jpg

post-1761-0-93371600-1492005579.jpg

The nametape looks Vietnamese made to me but is more likely Korean made. It doesn't really look like it was recycled from an old uniform.

post-1761-0-47580400-1492005641.jpg

The white tag, "Elvis" collar and upper pocket bellows towards the inside mark that as a pretty early BDU, probably 81 when they were introduced.

There were still a lot of Vietnam vets in the Army then. All of my drill sergeants but one were VN vets and we even had VN vets among the recruits I went to basic with (the rule was if you had been out of the Army for more than 5 years, you had to go through basic again. It was pretty funny to see a guy in a recruit's uniform with a CIB and a combat patch.)

My guess is that when the soldier switched from fatigues to BDU's he probably cut a patch off of his old fatigues rather than buy a new one at Clothing Sales.

Those machine embroidered nametags were done everywhere. Every Army and USAF installation had a dozen or more small tailor shops just outside the gates, usually run by the Korean, Japanese, or Filipina spouse of a current or former service member, they would make those name tags in the back and sew them on for a cheaper price than you would pay on-post.

Agree with Martin

Elvis Collar.Also the early BDUs tend to have the color especially the black fade real fast and purple out.

The US ARMY is one of that era as well.