Vietnam Era 2 Star Generals Flight Suit Info Needed

TheMariner

Hello all a recent pick up of mine is this i am guessing vietnam era flight suit to a 2 star general. Sadly it is named but seller states someone crossed it out though it could be possible to ID still just based off the patches! It shows some wear but is overall nice and was clearly worn by the general! Just want to make sure this isn't put together and also wants to get opinions on when it dates from and what it might be worth ?

After minimal research i found both squadrons have been around for a long time and both are still active. I was wondering what the odds are of a positive ID on this piece! Thanks all for your time and help! post-160496-0-43983300-1491707397_thumb.jpg

Also just want to make sure this is not put together though i wouldn't think this would be the type of thing someone would put together! post-160496-0-69268000-1491707591.jpg

Interesting that he would wear a Strategic Air Command patch and an Arizona Air National Guard fighter squadron patch. As a 2-star, he would have been the Adjutant General.

It's kind of unusual to see a General Officer wear a squadron patch of any kind. The usual squadron commander is usually a Major or Lt. Colonel. Maybe it's his old outfit and he was proud of it. The ANG patch worn with a SAC patch doesn't make much sense either.

Interesting that he would wear a Strategic Air Command patch and an Arizona Air National Guard fighter squadron patch. As a 2-star, he would have been the Adjutant General.

Thanks for the info, thats what i was looking for! Is it possible though or do you think it was put together?

It's kind of unusual to see a General Officer wear a squadron patch of any kind. The usual squadron commander is usually a Major or Lt. Colonel. Maybe it's his old outfit and he was proud of it. The ANG patch worn with a SAC patch doesn't make much sense either.

Very interesting there appears to be on the tips of the shoulder where there was a square patch that was removed at some point it can be seen in my images, possibly the generals stars were added to enhance value ? Or do you think he did it ?

northcoastaero

Just curious. What is the manufacturer on the zippers and is there a specification tag

on the neck area? The square areas with the removed stitching were probably for the

previous rank, being plastic encased rank or embroidered on cloth. Hope this helps.

It is odd to see the SAC MAJCOM patch with those 2 others being ANG. Both are AZ ANG related, 1 being a fighter unit out of Tucson and the other being a refueling unit from Phoenix. Perhaps that was done up by the guy after he retired showing his past career.

Looks maybe put together to me. The tip of the stars should be pointed to the neck. I could see if the guy was high up in the ANG wearing both unit patches to show camaraderie or whatever, but this one doesn't ring true due to the rank error. The SAC patch would make sense with the ARS patch as that was the gaining command. Additionally, why are they sewn directly to the suit? When that version of the 152 TFS came into use in the 70s, Velcro was widely used. Has more red flags than not I would think.

Randy