Kerr sling

PaulS

Today I found what looks like a original Kerr sling of pre WWII vintage. Is this sling correct for the US M1917 Enfield or M1 Thompson?

post-9337-0-96411400-1491706448_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-61652100-1491706472_thumb.jpg

If the long piece is about 40" long, it's for a Thompson. If it's much longer, about 54" long, it's for an M1917.

I'd like to see more photos of the rivets on both sides. It looks original, but there are quite a few fakes out there, and most of the fakes have been made to look aged, like this one. I see that one of the rivets is split slightly in two places. While not a 100% indicator, split rivets attract suspicion of a possible reproduction.

Here is a reference you may want to review. (About halfway down the page)

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10090

David Albert

[email protected]

If the long piece is about 40" long, it's for a Thompson. If it's much longer, about 54" long, it's for an M1917.

I'd like to see more photos of the rivets on both sides. It looks original, but there are quite a few fakes out there, and most of the fakes have been made to look aged, like this one. I see that one of the rivets is split slightly in two places. While not a 100% indicator, split rivets attract suspicion of a possible reproduction.

Here is a reference you may want to review. (About halfway down the page)

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10090

David Albert

<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

post-9337-0-68389100-1491797110_thumb.jpg

post-9337-0-07740000-1491797121_thumb.jpg

I saw that website and it was very helpful in helping me decide whether to buy or not to buy this sling. I was looking at the rivets amogst other things when I was considering whether to buy or not. The rivets fully cover all rivet holes and was found in a tray of of mostly non military items at a gun show. The age, rivets and weave of the material is consistent with pics of original slings. At $12 I thought I would take the gamble. The guy did not seem to know what it was or really care.

One thing that really stands out on fake slings (or webbing in general) is the weave and quality of the canvas/webbing

I have yet to see a fake piece that can duplicate the WW2 material in weave or quality.

Fake/repro webbing has a different weave,feel and typically a fuzz to the material

Even your sling being soild you can see the differance in the weave compared to fakes.

• 1 month later...