IDing Missing Patches

Maverickson

Maverickson

HI All,

Recently lucked into an unusual AN-J-3A. After carefully inspecting this jacket I believe that it has had some 6 patch that were once attached which were subsequently removed. Currently, no patches are attached.

I was of the opinion that the shape of the patches as evidenced by the left behind empty stitches behind may just be enough to narrow down exactly what patches were once attached tot this jacket.

The jacket is a Monarch from the N288s-20570 contract. From all indications made in 1944. However, I believe that the now missing patches more than likely date the Korean War.

Attached are two of the 6 patches which I believe may be recognizable. The one seen from the lining and lapel measures 5" X 7 1/2". That remnant of the shield shaped patch measures 7" X 10 1/2"

If anyone has an idea as to which patches they think these may be I would enjoying hearing their opinion!

Thanks, Dave

post-6553-0-12223200-1491675712.jpg

post-6553-0-08817700-1491675723.jpg

Maverickson

Hi All,

Thought I might do a single image at the time in an attempt to get some better images of those missing patches in question. As seen below is that missing squadron patch once seen on the jacket's right front breast and as seen from the lining of the jacket.

It appears to me that at one time another patch was previously attached. Then a larger one that averaged 5" in diameter with two appendages that then measure 7 1/2" across was set over the top of the other to cover.

Cheers, Dave

post-6553-0-24602700-1491723932_thumb.jpg

Maverickson

Hi All,

Another Close up of that now empty space the was once occupied by the 7" X 10 1/2" patch. I believe that if this patch can be IDed that the other would fall into place.

It was my sincere hope that it's unusual size and shape would aid in it's identification!

Cheers, Dave

post-6553-0-47636100-1491739631_thumb.jpg