UNIDENTIFIED AIR FORCE GENERAL OFFICER

COOKIEMAN

UNIDENTIFIED AIR FORCE GENERAL OFFICER.

Looking for identification of the Brigadier General in the attached picture. Hiss ribbon rack indicates he entered service in 1918 or earlier (WW1 Victory Medal), and served into the eary 1950's (USAF Blue Uniform)..

His is a Distinguished Marksman, probably winning the award in the early 1920's

His one and only decoration is the Legion of Merit. Have verified he is not James F Phillips. Any and all help is appreciated.

post-14361-0-60484000-1491515662_thumb.jpg

post-14361-0-81931700-1491515673_thumb.jpg

-That's a Far East Air Forces patch he has.

-Also ranked as Major General.

-He is wearing a "Office of the Secretary of Defense Identification Badge" which was created in 1949(correct me if I am wrong on this one).

It is issued as a permanent decoration and is to be worn for the remainder of an individual's military career, provided that a service member served at least one year (two years for Reserve personnel not on active duty) in or in support of OSD. Personnel who are awarded the badge include all military personnel, when they are assigned on a permanent basis to any of the following organizational elements:

• The Immediate Offices of the Secretary and Deputy Secretary of Defense.
  • The Offices of the Under Secretaries of Defense.
  • The Offices of the Assistant Secretaries of Defense.
  • The Office of the General Counsel of the Department of Defense.
  • The Office of the Inspector General of the Department of Defense.
  • The Offices of the Assistants to the Secretary of Defense or Deputy Secretary of Defense.
  • The Office of the Defense Advisor, U.S. Mission to NATO.
  • The Offices of the Directors of Net Assessment
  • The Office of the Director of Administration and Management (DA&M)
  • The Office of the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation (OT&E)
  • Ballistic Missile Defense Organization (BMDO)
  • Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
  • DSCA

-Wiki

according to one us uniform supply catalogue this type of hat was worn 1947-1991

rank is two star {Major General]

badge at bottom of pocket is Office of the Secretary of Defense Identification Badge

Possible Pearl H Robey 1906-1994?

If Pearl H Robey was born in 1906, he would have been 12 years old in 1918. Since the General is wearing the WW1 Victory Medal (center, top row), he would have had to be born in or before 1900.

There are lists of the Army Distinquished marksmans badge reciepiants.They list name,year,branch etc.Be a long shot to narrow it down that way.

Not knowing when he earned it(year) Possibly if he was listed by specific branch.He may have been Army or Air Service or Army Air Corps etc.Not sure if they would have changed his branch listing to Air Force when the change over took place.

Response to Flyboy 53: Pretty sure the ribbon is the WW1 Victory. Even if it was the Occupation Ribbon, it still couldn't be Robey, he would be too young.

Response to doyler: I have the early list of Army Distinguished Shooters up through 1926. All the early Air Service guys started out in some other army branch: infantry, cavalry, artillery, etc. In my years researching shooting badges, have never seen one that dated before 1926 to an Air Service troop.. So, the list doesn't help much in this case. I can tell, from the picture, the design of the Distinguished badge indicates it was awarded shortly before or shortly after

WW1.

according to one us uniform supply catalogue this type of hat was worn 1947-1991

In this photograph, the service cap would be shade 1084 blue and would be used till 1970 when replaced by the shade 1054 blue cap. Only difference is the shade of blue cloth.. The "farts and darts", on the brim is correct for General officers

Assuming Uniformcollector is right, the only explanation for the WWI victory ribbon, without campaign stars, would be that he was a member of the SATC -- Student Army Training Corps while in college. My uncle was a member, and he is listed as a veteran in the Ohio roster of WWI vets.

G