Marine Corps Hospital Bolo

mvmhm

One of the groundskeepers walked in today with this. He's going to get me his father's info but all he had to say that his dad was a Corpsman in WWII. The knife will need a little cleaning, but the scabbard is shot.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-52656700-1491424974_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-04084000-1491424988_thumb.jpg

Very nice.

From what I understand the USMC Medical Corpsmen Bolo originally came in a leather Boyt scabbard although I did get a Plumb bolo in the scabbard you have shown. The USMC square tip machete did come in a scabbard like you have pictured.

See Cole III, page 40 & 41.

The Boyt leather scabbards are easy to come by and relatively inexpensive.

post-165606-0-16569300-1491426455_thumb.jpg

Very nice.

From what I understand the USMC Medical Corpsmen Bolo originally came in a leather Boyt scabbard although I did get a Plumb bolo in the scabbard you have shown. The USMC square tip machete did come in a scabbard like you have pictured.

See Cole III, page 40 & 41.

The Boyt leather scabbards are easy to come by and relatively inexpensive.

My mistake, I re-read Frank Trzaska's June 2003 article in Knife World and they are a knife, not a bolo.

"The United States Marine Corps, Hospital Corps Knife: it is a knife, not a bolo and not a Med­ical Corps knife. The correct nomenclature is arrived at logically; the Naval Med­ical Corps designates its members as officers. Physicians might use a scalpel, letter opener or a pocket knife but not a large knife such as this. The medical enlisted personnel, Navy Corpsmen, who would use this knife, are in the Hospital Corps hence the prop­er name, Hospital Corps Knife."