World War I Presidential Wound and Killed in Action Certificates

Teamski

I learned something new today. thumbsup.gif

I picked up a WWI Presidential Wound Certificate about 6 months ago not knowing what it was. I had never seen one before until I saw it in my beat-up copy of "The Call of Duty" from Amazon that arrived in the mail today.

The Presidential Wound Certificate and the Presidential Killed in Action Certificate was created by Woodrow Wilson and were awarded to those who were Wounded and of course KIA in WWI. The certificate was designed in 1919 and holders of these certificates were entitled to the Purple Heart when it came out in 1932.

Each certificate was named to the individual and included his unit. My certificate was awarded to Pvt Miles B. Munn, Ambulance Company No. 3 (I believe).

So, for those of you who see these certificates, you now know what they are! There are references to them in other threads if you want to see other examples.

-Ski

post-3043-1224116546.jpg

FightenIrish35

Wow I wish I had one Ski these look like some incredible certificates. Its incredible how they potray the angel knighting the GI...INCREDIBLE thumbsup.gif

Teamski - Great document. Not intended to hijack your thread on these great WWI documents but to clarify some points. These are also called the "Columbia Wound & KIA Certificates. The Killed in Action Certificate is on a heavier paper stock and has an embossed border around the lithograph. I have both types in my collection.

The female figure is not an angel but represents "Columbia", as in "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean. She was very famous in American patriotism during the first half of the 20th Century, right up there with Uncle Sam but has now descended into obscurity. Patriotic songs just ain't on the IPods!

From WikiAnswers.Com:

"Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean" is a United States patriotic song which was popular in the 19th and early 20th century. It was used on occasion as an unofficial national anthem in competition with "Hail, Columbia" and "The Star-Spangled Banner" until the latter's formal adoption as the national anthem of the United States in 1931. For many years, Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean's melody was used as the Voice of America's interval signal.

"Columbia" was commonly understood as a poetic name for the United States of America at the time. The song, as such, was first published in 1843, credited to T. Becket & D. Shaw. It was apparently a rewrite of a well known British tune entitled "Red, White, and Blue."

Lyrics

O Columbia! the gem of the ocean,

The home of the brave and the free,

The shrine of each patriot's devotion,

A world offers homage to thee;

Thy mandates make heroes assemble,

When Liberty's form stands in view;

Thy banners make tyranny tremble,

When borne by the red, white, and blue,

Thy banners make tyranny tremble,

When borne by the red, white and blue.

When war wing'd its wide desolation,

And threaten'd the land to deform,'

The ark then of freedom's foundation,

Columbia rode safe thro' the storm;

With her garlands of vict'ry around her,

When so proudly she bore her brave crew;

With her flag proudly floating before her,

The boast of the red, white and blue,

The boast of the red, white and blue,

The boast of the red, white, and blue,

With her flag proudly floating before her,

The boast of the red, white and blue.

The Union, the Union forever,

Our glorious nation's sweet hymn,

May the wreaths it has won never wither,

Nor the stars of its glory grow dim,

May the service united ne'er sever,

But they to their colors prove true?

The Army and Navy forever,

Three cheers for the red, white, and blue,

The Army and Navy for ever,

Three cheers for the red, white and blue.

Enjoy! Bobgee

Thanks Bobgee for the information! No hijack whatsoever, I was hoping this thread would expand with other's inputs. Could you take a shot of one of your KIA certificates?

An MP3 of the music is accessible at the bottom of the Wikipedia entry for the song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia,_Gem_of_the_Ocean

-Ski

As requested, here is a shot of a Columbia Killed in Action Certificate. This was sent in 1920 to the parents of 1/Lt Wayne B. Stephenson, U.S. Air Service. It was accompanied by the War Department card shown. Stephenson was a 23-year old French-trained pilot was flying a Spad XIII when he was shot down & killed on Sept. 13, 1918 in the St. Mihiel Offensive while serving with the 28th Aero Squadron. He had previously been awarded a Croix de Guerre for shooting down a German Balloon while flying in a French Escadrille. Note how the wording on the Certificate differs from the WIA previously posted. The lithograph is otherwise identicle to the the WIA Certificate, though as mentioned, printed on a heavier card stock with embossed borders.

Columbia_KIA_Certificate_Stephenson_1.JPGColumbia_KIA_Certificate_Stephenson_CU.JPG

Columbia_KIA_Certificate_Stephenson_Forwarding_Card.JPG

He is buried in France and I had the honor of paying my respects at his grave in the St. Mihiel American Cemetery during a trip to France in 2000.

Bobgee

!/Lt Stephenson was initially buried by the German in Metz, near where he crashed. This is a photo of that grave. After the war, his remains were removed to the U.S. Cemetery at Thiaucourt and marked with a simple wooden Cross as shown. These were replaced with marble Crosses/ Stars of David in the early 1930s. Bobgee

Columbia_KIA_Certificate_Stephenson_German_Cross_Metz.JPG

Columbia_KIA_Certificate_Stephenson_Wooden_Cross_Photo..JPG

Columbia_Marble_Cross_CU.JPG]

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a certficate I picked up on a local guy. Named to Walter Reasch, Hq Company, 322nd FA. He was wounded severely on October 23, 1918. He was in the same artillery regiment as my grandfather. The 3 medals were pinned to the parchment and framed this way so I left it just the way I acquired it. I did a little research on this guy and found a copy of the Croix de Guerre orders where he was awarded the medal. The order is dated April 27, 1919. Kinda cool! Kim

post-60-1225577547.jpg

post-60-1225577580.jpg

post-60-1225577609.jpg

This was awarded to PVT John Lawler, E Company 103rd FA. He served from 1915 to 1919 and was wounded on the 1st of August, 1918. His unit was involved in the Ainse-Marne offensive in France, he was most likely wounded by counterbattery fire from the German positions above the village of Sergy. This is one of my favorite US items, it is just a stunning certificate, though mine has seen some wear. The research was provided by some friends on another forum, many thanks to them for that!!

post-2876-1225669649.jpg

Teamski,

Nice thread here I have a KIA one for a man in the 1st air service like the other that is posted but here is a document like Kurts that is tough to find and like Kurts you never find them together. This documkent and the KIA doucument are both named to the same man which is quite rare. These documents could be received thru the VFW after the war for recognition from the country of France for there loss. You just do not see these very often.

Fritz

post-4127-1225677118.jpg

post-4127-1225677126.jpg

post-4127-1225677134.jpg

usmcraidergirl

Here's another USMC one...It is actually a full size one but the remainder is behind the framed part. This is framed behind UV glass and with acid-free backings, etc.

This one was sent home to the family of Cpl. Theodore B. Scebold, Marine Corps. He served with 75th Co., 1st Bn, 6th Regt, 2nd Division during World War I. He was listed as missing in action since October 3, 1918. He received the Silver Star for valor.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Sorry for the poor photos guys and gals.

This is an honorable service certificate for:

Douglas Hudson

from June 28, 1918 to Jan.?,1919

at Miami, Fla.

Northern Bombing Squadron,

Naval Air Forces, France

post-415-1225842033.jpg

post-415-1225842057.jpg

post-415-1225842074.jpg

post-415-1225842088.jpg