New Birds in the Nest!

bobgee

I made contact last week with an EBay seller who had these emblems squirreled away. In addition to the lovely M1914 "Fire Bronze" marked Officer badge, probably Meyer-made but unmarked as was common for that era, there are 2 examples of the following enlisted M1916 emblem, both exactly the same showing minimum usage.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee aka "Happy Camper"!

WWI_Off___Fire_Bronze___OBV__400dpi.JPG

WWI_Off___Fire_Bronze___REV__400dpi.JPG

WWI_Enl_OBV_10_08.JPG

WWI_Enl_REV_10_08.JPG

Thanks for the comments! The Officer EGA is interesting in that it is made without applied continents. I have another that is marked with the Meyer Shield and "FireBronze" on the reverse anchor shaft and has applied continents. It is virtually identicle to this one otherwise. I wonder if that relates to different periods of manufacture or perhaps to a more "deluxe" quality insignia?

Semper Fi! Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret

WOW, what a find "happy camper" I agree we your observations, this one show is no doubt of the NS Meyer family. The most noticeable trait on these of the pre/WW1 era is ask you have noted, molded continents and random stempling of the globe. NS Meyer cover emblems were always noted for 'split legs' and as call them "dancing feet" which H&H conveniently borrowed for their designs starting in the mid 20's.

As you have noted, the design of the continents and lower wing feathers is a true distinctive shape of Meyers that carried on for decades after. With respect to you last comment, yes. I have no doubt that they followed the changes post WW1 that outlined requirements for "applied" continents and "fret or chase work" across the face of the globe. Have looked for the 20's era you mention in Ref. Sec. - can't seem to locate it right now.

Bob, I would like to see more of that roller, as it compares to the other "fire bronze" rollers. WHAT A FIND, 'HAPPY CAMPER" S/F Darrell

Since I mentioned it, here is the Meyer Shield-marked "Fire Bronze" with applied continents. I believe this badge to be WWI vintage but acknowledge that it could be a bit later. Note the markings are on the anchor shank. The Shield appears as though it was stamped as an afterthought and the "firebronze" mark is partially obscured by the screwpost and wire. Bobgee

Meyer_Officer_Shield__Fire_Bronze_OBV.JPGMeyer_WWI_Fire_Bronze_REV_BPierce.JPG

Meyer_WWI_Fire_Bronze_REV_BPierce_CU_Marks.JPG

Well since I've posted two early N.S. Meyer bronze officer emblems in this thread, here'a repost of my M1926 "Big Droopy" hat insignia by Meyer for comparison. It is virtually identicle, other than the eagle, to the 2nd Officer emblem posted with applied continents. The markings are more symetrically applied with a clear Shield stam and the "firebronze" stamp appearing on the wing. This "big droopy" came from the estate of a Marine USNA 1928 graduate. Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Meyer_Officer_Big_Droopy_Hat_OBV.JPG

Meyer_Officer_Big_Droopy_Hat_REV.JPG

Meyer_Officer_Big_Droopy_Hat_REV_Fire_Bronze_mark_CU.JPG

Meyer_Officer_Big_Droopy_Hat_REV_Meyer_Shield_CU.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Yes indeed, those were the one's I recall you having shared with us some ago. I share your thoughts as well on the dating - WW1 and or shortly thereafter, before the "fret and chase work" upon the globe became common place. No doubt a "transitional piece / design". Thx, Bob for posting these again!

• 4 months later...
Bob, do I recall we had a phon con about this group... Did anything more come out of it? Semper Fi, Darrell

No - nothing more..............yet! I still hope, though!

Semper Fi.......Bob

• 2 years later...

Sorry, dont know how to copy the photo like some, but here is the current listing on ebay. Seller lists this as a WWI vintage officers cap ega. There is a reference to one listed in Morans book, but when I compare this one to the one photo'd in the book there appears to be differences. I also hear there are some mis-representations in the book anyway. I need a WWI vintage ega, so need to know if this one falls into that vintage. Thanks in advance for the help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140681012442?ssPag...984.m1423.l2649

teufelhunde.ret
... I need a WWI vintage ega, so need to know if this one falls into that vintage. Thanks in advance for the help.

The emblem is a pre / WW1 era emblem, no issue there. Here is a discussion from a ref. sec. thread addressing it specifically:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=28773

HOWEVER, you should be aware of the repair to the anchor rope, as it attach's to the fluke. If you look closely at the reverse of "Bobgees" emblem in the ref thread you will note two mountings or attachments to the anchor stock. The first, note the rope is attached at the anchor tip, the emblem in the auction, it has become unattached. The second to the terminal end of the rope on the fluke, note two rather large blobs of solder holding it in place. This is not the period method of mounting the rope, as seen in Bob's emblem. I do not believe the repair is period. Thus it does diminish the emblems value. In terms of a barracks cap replacement, it likely makes little or no difference. Only us EGA collectors get anal about such things...

__KGrHqJHJDgE7zIJHRzQBPD5qVDnJg__60_12.jpg

The emblem is a pre / WW1 era emblem, no issue there. Here is a discussion from a ref. sec. thread addressing it specifically:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=28773

HOWEVER, you should be aware of the repair to the anchor rope, as it attach's to the fluke. If you look closely at the reverse of "Bobgees" emblem in the ref thread you will note two mountings or attachments to the anchor stock. The first, note the rope is attached at the anchor tip, the emblem in the auction, it has become unattached. The second to the terminal end of the rope on the fluke, note two rather large blobs of solder holding it in place. This is not the period method of mounting the rope, as seen in Bob's emblem. I do not believe the repair is period. Thus it does diminish the emblems value. In terms of a barracks cap replacement, it likely makes little or no difference. Only us EGA collectors get anal about such things...

Thank you both for posting the photos and the eagle eye catch on the rope. I hadnt started studying it that close yet, wanting to know if it was right vintage first. Thanks again for the great input. Kevin