Squatting eagle

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Found this pair today.

I think the one on the right is WW2 "cover" device. I can't place the one on the left. The eagle looks to be squatting.

post-9131-0-35393900-1491202445.jpg

usmcaviator

The one on the left first saw use in the late 1800's however it was used by Marines well into the 1920's. It was probably produced up until at least WW1. Looking at the back and the overall construction/material will dictate as to what era your device is from. It was worn in prongback form on epaulettes and kepis in the late 1800's to early 1900's; and then with post back on dress caps and service caps 1900-1925. It can also be found attached to helmets of the WW1 period. It is HIGHLY reproduced in thin stamped brass or tin with either prong or post back. The one on the right saw service in the late 1930's and was used until the early 1960's. These are generally unmarked and are very common as they serviced the hundreds of thousands Marines serving during that time.

Mike

easterneagle87

Am and Army guy and have absolutely no experience with EGA's other than they're pretty cool. The guy has a large repo brass (shako type) in his case and asks big bucks for his stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if it was reproduced. I saw no marks on these. HOWEVER, if it is a 20's, how would you tell if wasn't a period EGA? What would be a reasonable price?