• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 empireguns

empireguns
  • Members
    • Member ID: 65,446
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:13 PM

He paid all in about $3200+ when he bought it, I don't agree with it but that's a bigger investment for some, getting a return is the driving factor. There were several items in the original sale his flight helmet  equipment and other smalls (I got some of them) so getting everything was really not an option. If thats what he wants to do we really cannot judge it.

#27 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 94,991
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:13 PM

Kudos to CNY for your honest response. I think trying to distance ourselves from these profiteering behaviors sheds some rightful ownership. This particular situation aside, I feel we as collectors help enable this behavior. While there are always exceptions, and at the expense of generalizing, a lot of folks only want / can afford pieces. So, groupings get dismantled, so the medal guys get the medals, the ephemera guys get the papers / pics, etc. It's certainly a bummer to get priced out of (a) piece(s) you want, but that's the game we're in - and have created to large extent. The sum is usually not worth the parts, so free market rules the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% about the historical significance, and would prefer every group stay intact. To what end though? Museums are filled to the rafters, with warehouses full. I know several that aren't even taking uniforms / effects anymore, unless they belonged to a top-tier award recipient. So then what? Eventually, all this stuff ends up leaving our hands one way or the other. The militaria collecting community doesn't seem to be getting any younger. That's likely for a myriad of reasons, such as generational focus, less emphasis on history curriculum in many schools (not PC), and - oh - crazy prices. Net net, sellers can't sell without buyers, and that's us. If we pay big money for an item, that's a statement that history does have a price. Ergo, talking about historical value as being separate from monetary value is somewhat of a fallacy. On a different post, somebody made a really good point about whether a helmet was used during Overlord or not. We could have a FS FB M1 helmet sitting on a shelf that landed on Omaha, first wave. Or, it could have been on Surabachi when the flag was raised. However, it's worth $200 because we don't know that. Exact same helmet, with provenance to one of those events, the price skyrockets. Why? Historical value correlates to financial value. This is the economy we propagate. And believe me, I'm a culprit.

#28 stealthytyler

stealthytyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 131,595
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

Hate seeing groups split up but the owner has every right to do so. After all, it is a business to some and it is the right thing to do from a profit standpoint. A bad idea from a historical standpoint.

#29 Eric Queen

Eric Queen

Douche Baggins of the Shire.

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 3,953
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:43 AM

Regardless of how this seller obtained it (parts, lots) it still looks like parts of a single album to me (same paper size, color, no covers, etc.) I, of course, could be wrong but that is my impression. 

Regardless, nothing to do about it now. I have decided to offer up the pieces I have (decorations, a couple paper items) in hopes that someone who bought one of the primary pieces will want it. 

#30 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 11,135 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

Ive always felt as that Militaria Collecting becomes more and more segmented into niche collecting that we will continue to see groups split up into even more lots.

As an example, I remember back in the 1980's it wasn't unusual to find posthumous Purple Heart groups that had a set of the veterans dogtags sent home in the personal effects. Now that dogtags to KIAs are selling for high prices, I've seen them getting split out from posthumous Purple Heart groups in larger numbers.  

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 07 April 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#31 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,063
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:06 AM

I got to handle all of these in person. It was pretty righteous but it was so split up you could never get it back together even before the grouping hit eBay. The auction company didn't know and didn't care.

#32 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,063
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:28 AM

And I know it doesn't really matter but the scrapbook had fallen apart pretty badly. I'm sure by the time it was mailed the rest of the binding got ruined. So I wouldn't say the seller necessarily butchered it as it was already in pieces for the most part.

#33 Kadet

Kadet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 04:56 AM

It is always a shame to see groups split up, but I will follow that quickly with the comment that large, valuable groups are often impossible to sell in a single lot. I speak from experience here. For some reason the people that cry the loudest about breaking up large groups are never around when one is being sold :)

#34 Eric Queen

Eric Queen

Douche Baggins of the Shire.

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 3,953
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

It is always a shame to see groups split up, but I will follow that quickly with the comment that large, valuable groups are often impossible to sell in a single lot. I speak from experience here. For some reason the people that cry the loudest about breaking up large groups are never around when one is being sold :)

I absolutely agree with this. Just to clarify my own statements, I didn't have an issue with the grouping being split per se. Groups are broken up all the time. Sometimes for good reasons and sometimes not. My issue was with the pieces of a single item being sold separately. Regardless of what has been said here, or the state of the items when the seller received them, I don't think it was the right thing to do to sell the album fragments separately. Again, just my opinion. 

#35 R Michael

R Michael
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,387
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

Reading this thread makes me want to kick my own butt. I passed on an album from an OSS vet that was a local guy. Had his Chinese jump certificate DD214s showing service in the OSS. It was sold at the 2013 or 14 SoS by the guy that had as he was walking the show.

#36 Kadet

Kadet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:05 AM

Reading this thread makes me want to kick my own butt. I passed on an album from an OSS vet that was a local guy. Had his Chinese jump certificate DD214s showing service in the OSS. It was sold at the 2013 or 14 SoS by the guy that had as he was walking the show.

ouch....OSS material, especially related to operational personnel, is just extremely rare!

#37 R Michael

R Michael
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,387
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

ouch....OSS material, especially related to operational personnel, is just extremely rare!

One of those times when I just didn't have enough knowledge. He had three DD214s showing on two of them OSS service. I thought about it and called the fellow back and tried to do a good deed and told him that I was pretty sure it was THE OSS and he should research it. Told me later that he sold it at the SoS for really next to nothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)