New Addition: African American Vet that served in the AAC-PTO

Gator

A new and welcome addition to my collection that belonged to a great veteran. May He RIP.

S//h//ellie C//u//l//p was born May 7, 1921 in Milan Tenn . He lived there until his induction into the Army in 1942. S///he///llie served his country honorably in adverse and dangerous conditions during World War II with assignments in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater, Australia, New Guinea and the Southern Philippines. During his service, S//h//ell//ie received the following commendations: World War II Victory Ribbon, Good Conduct Medal, Asian-Pacific Theater Ribbon, two Bronze Stars and the Philippines Liberation Ribbon. S///hell///ie was honorably discharged from the Army in 1946 and returned to Tennessee, where he married Mamie Frames in 1947 and then moved to Cedar Rapids and worked at Penford Products for 35 years until his retirement. He passed away on January 10, 2005.

(information provided by http://africanamericanfootprints.blogspot.com/p/military.html and Ancestry.com)

Anyone have an educated guess as to which AAC he may been attached to?

Mark

post-5028-0-31455500-1490894083_thumb.jpg

post-5028-0-12426500-1490894114_thumb.jpg

Very nice Mark! I have two African American vet tags, one of which is unit ID'd. Love the patina on that one

Thanks guys.

Phil this is actually my second tag to an African American serviceman. The other is a WWI era to a Buffalo Soldier that, if my memory serves me correctly, served on the Mexican Border.

Mark

doinworkinvans

Just a wild guess but with the Australian, Phillipines, New Guiena connection that would most likely have been the 5th AF