Dating USGI ALICE Canteen Covers

ECHOROMEO

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Yes but it's not a science.

Pawtwo writes:

"Going back to the nylon shade. C.A. Monroe gave me an info that 12,5 ounce nylon duck specs changed at 18 september 1990. Indeed ammo pouches made for FY1990 contracts were made usually from new shade materials (I have two sets of these). There were some stocks of old nylon so some contractors migh have been using them for some time. Old shade was called OG106 (Olive green) and newer CG483 (Camouflage Green).

In fact there were also some minor materials shade changes through whole production. Pouches form 70s have a bit different shade than these from 80s. Also pouches from early 90s have a bit different shade from these made in 2000s. But these are only minor changes."

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/284628-alice-ammo-pouch-magazine-dividers-inside/

Thank you. I was trying to ID this canteen, never seen any labelled this way, anybody know if its government issued?

W6VgohI.jpg

AbmeOtQ.jpg

from the looks of it, it's a cover made by a government contractor, but not under contract. Just judging by the color/style, I would say it's from the late 80s-early 90s.

It's marked LC2, which I think came about in the early80s. What is the date on the bottom of the canteen?

That is one of my canteen covers I turned into supply in 94! Okay just joking, but that looks like an original USGI cover to me. What makes you suspect it is not an original USGI item? You guys may be right and I can't make out the entire markings/labeling on back.

What made me wonder was the absence of a contract number. Unfortunately the canteen is of no help as it did not come with the cover.

Looks OK to me. Project 7026 may be a special order cover but not sure who or why. Stock number matches up with to the LC-2 cover. I too would say 80'2 or 90's

Bob

milsurp_scout_14

It is indeed military issue; I have one just like it. For whatever reason the Defense Personnel Support Center (agency on the bottom row of the markings) has a fair amount of items apparently made for its use. They seem to use project numbers instead of the normal contract number. I've seen other items (6 color desert camo coats, ALICE pack kidney belt) marked this way too. Someone may be able to explain that better than me.