Rusty Gold for me!

Mr.Jerry

As some of you know, I collect the WWII fighting knives that were made by at least two of the vocational schools in Wisconsin.

I have a bunch of them in my own collection, I think they are really neat and love the Wisconsin connection. I have been trying to collect as many of them as I am able as I am hoping to eventually do a book on them.

Anyway, about 3 years ago, I heard from a picker guy that he saw another guy that had a box of them rusting in his barn. (This is the kind of stuff collector dreams are made of) It seems that the guy's dad was a janitor at one of the schools and he was told to get rid them these as the kids were making knives out of them in the 1950s.

So now I was hot on the trail. After several letters, phone calls, and several trips to his farm that all went unanswered, I had given up. But then last year the original guy calls me up and says, "oh hey, I got those knives you like" so then another year of missed contacts, him forgetting to bring them, etc. but then finally last Saturday we met up and he GAVE them to me!! A dozen "Banks" in 2 stages of construction and a whole pile of cross guards!

To some they look like rusty bits of steel, but to me they are gold! :D

fdl-knife.jpg

IMG_5449.JPG

Congratulations on the Collection increase...it's always enjoying to find something we want for ourselves.

Thanks Robert,

That is something that they don't teach us in dealer school - you will see and buy all kinds of really rare fantastic stuff, but you can't collect it all so most just passes through.
That makes it all the more special when we get something that trips our own triggers.

GREAT find...would make some nice knives. think of all the projects. Guess what, we even shot .22 rifles on the rifle team in high School..
(60's)

GREAT find...would make some nice knives. think of all the projects. Guess what, we even shot .22 rifles on the rifle team in high School..

(60's)

Different World and different generations Al...Sigh...I'm glad your eye is okay... :)

• 1 month later...
Collector .45

Those are awesome! Especially with the Wisconsin connection. Must be a privilege to have them in your collection.

- Henry

Now that's a great way to add to a collection. I am not familiar with these knives. What is written on the blade of the complete knife?

Mikie

Very nice. Your persistence paid off. I'd be tempted to try to fashion my own grip and put together a knife. Is there something written on the completed knife?

• 1 month later...
milcollector

Great story.

The finished knife looks very well made.

It looks like there is writing on the blade??

Is it signed by the maker?