New Addition: 101st Inf Bracelet to Former Boston Reporter

Gator

Good Morning,

The following is one of my newest additions that I was fortunate enough to find as a BIN it now. Originally labeled as a WWII bracelet, a quick search revealed that the bracelet actually belong to a WWI Vet who was actually a reporter with the Boston Post. More to try and learn about him but the following (several scans) is a first hand account of his life in the trenches as written by him and printed in the Post.

Mark

post-5028-0-71477200-1490616424_thumb.jpg

post-5028-0-11396200-1490616431_thumb.jpg

Additionally, I was able to find an entry for the 1930 Census in which he was living with his Aunt and others at 80 Willow Street in Boston. The house still exists. All this just breathes life into what is an inanimate object.

Regards

post-5028-0-10142800-1490617539_thumb.jpg

Thanks Gator for a great post. I know what your talking about, researching and finding information. Knowing where that braclet was worn and has been. Amazing. Great story.

Thanks to all. Still searching to find more. I know he has a WWII enlistment even though he was well over age (Born circa 1889) and that he was a graduate of Williams College. Also know that he was still an Editor/Reporter with the Post into to 30's. Surprisingly have not been able to find an obit or headstone yet.

Mark

• 1 year later...

Thank you for posting this, he is my 1st cousin twice removed.

Walter Christopher Mahan was born Apr 9, 1895 Son of Water B and Mary (Thompson) Mahan.

Mar 14, 1920 he married Katherine Munns.

The house was actually 154 Willow st owned by Jeanette (Thompson) Nelson.

Last record i have 1930 census, still residing there and still working as a reporter.

So far i have no information on when he passed away.

i wanted to let you know your work is greatly appreciated, thank you again.