• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 costa

costa
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

can any one tell me if this badge is early or later ww2 era. asking due to the drop in lock and never saw this logo type on back.

Attached Images

• s-l50072ALNY5T.jpg
  • s-l500TX0NQEXL.jpg

#2 pfrost

pfrost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,519
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

no way to tell, although I suspect that this is postwar GEMSCO hallmark style.

#3 Lee Ragan

Lee Ragan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 97
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

What are the dimensions of this badge?. The only ones I have seen that were pin back like this are smaller than the regular badge used on the service cap, which were screw back. The miniatures measure 7/8" wide x 1 1/4" tall. The old "Donkey Ears" hat badge was used from Dec. 1942 to Dec. 1953. FYI. No authorization was ever found for those miniature badges either.

#4 Kimo

Kimo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 166,073
  • 113 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

As Lee mentions this is a Civil Air Patrol badge worn by officers with the rank of Flight Officer or higher on their service hat.  This particular GEMSCO badge would be post-war - likely the early 1950s up until this design was phased out in December, 1953.  The war time ones were made by either of two companies - Robbins of Attleboro, Massachusetts or Green of Kansas City, Missouri.

What size are these?  The ones that were actually worn on the service hat are 2 and 1/2 inches high by 2 inches wide.  As Lee mentioned, you can also find smaller sized ones that measure 1 and 1/4 inches high by 7/8 inches wide.  These smaller sized ones were never worn on uniforms and were never officially authorized for wear.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users