US Coast Guard Cutter Eagle Hamilton Pocket Watch Trench Art Dial Unique

mds308

I've been trying to buy this watch for almost a year. Today was my day. It's a Hamilton 912, 12 size pocket watch with a custom engraved dial. I've been dealing in watches for a long time and so have some of my friends. Nobody knows or has seen this before. I don't know if Hamilton did the engraving or a bored Coasty. It was all hand done by carving down the original dial and doing the Cutter Eagle in relief. What I can tell you is the Eagle was originally a German vessel known as the Horst Wessel and the U.S. acquired her in 1946. The watch was made in 1939. My guess is this engraving was done in the late 1940s. Perhaps 1946-1950. The engraver put SEMPER PERATUS in the sub second dial. It is done to perfection.

post-165739-0-67733200-1490569822.jpg

phantomfixer

Very nice watch and engraving...good friend of mine served on the Eagle, in the 80s I think..many stories ....and heard them all more than once..

Congrats on your patience...

I guess it's not as unusual as I had thought. Here is a different example I found. Also, I was informed by a friend that he thinks this was acid etched. Any thoughts? Thanks.

post-165739-0-61084700-1490576379.jpg

phantomfixer

talked with my retired coasty friend...he served on the Eagle...asked him about the Eagle pocket watch, without showing him this pic..

stated they sold Eagle pocket watches at the CG Academy...

I had checked with one of my watch collectors and he said that with Hamilton you could special order just about anything you wanted. The watch movement was made circa 1939 and the Eagle came to be in 1946. Maybe Hamilton found a way to get rid of old dead stock by creating fancy or unusual dials.

Thanks for all your help.