VMF-224 | Fighting Wildcats | WWII era Disney design

walika

"Fighting Wildcats", another classic WWII Disney design . . .

American chenille (6-7/8 high x 6" wide)

VMF-224-1000b.jpgVMF-224-1000b2.jpg

Chinese silk, c 1945-1946 (6-7/8" high x 6" wide)

VMF-224-1000a.jpgVMF-224-1000a1.jpg

Flying Grumman F4F Wildcats, the Fighting Wildcats (or Fighting Bengals as later known) entered World War II as part of the Cactus Air Force stationed on Henderson Field, Guadalcanal. Led by Medal of Honor recipient Maj Robert Galer, the squadron accounted for over sixty Japanese aircraft being destroyed in less than two months. The squadron also conducted close air support (CAS) missions while under constant attack from Japanese naval, air, and ground forces. VMF-224’s contributed significantly to the American victory during the Guadalcanal Campaign, which in turn, helped stem the tide of the Japanese advance across the Southern Pacific and secured a crucial foothold in the long island-hopping campaign against Japan.

After Guadalcanal, the squadron was refitted with the Vought F4U Corsair and participated in the Marshall Islands Campaign. The spring of 1945 found VMF-224 participating in the last great battle of the Pacific Campaign. During the Battle of Okinawa the squadron operated initially from Yomitan and then from 1 July from Chimu Airfield. Throughout the struggle for Okinawa, the Bengals flew infantry support and counter air missions accounting for an additional fifty-five enemy aircraft being destroyed.

Man Rick, you have been posting some great stuff.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. As you know I have a pretty large collection, and thought it might be helpful to share some of the more uncommon items via the forum.

Rick

Brian Dentino

Rick, even though I am not a collector of these rare patches (or patches in general) I have to agree with Bob here and say thank you for posting some of these amazing and rare items from your collection. You have taken the time to show us some amazing patches in your posts and I have truly enjoyed seeing them displayed for us here. Many of your items are in the "un-obtainable" realm for those of us with limited funds, but the education you have given us is priceless and very valuable for our members here. Thanks for taking the time to post all of these rare patches!

Rick, even though I am not a collector of these rare patches (or patches in general) I have to agree with Bob here and say thank you for posting some of these amazing and rare items from your collection. You have taken the time to show us some amazing patches in your posts and I have truly enjoyed seeing them displayed for us here. Many of your items are in the "un-obtainable" realm for those of us with limited funds, but the education you have given us is priceless and very valuable for our members here. Thanks for taking the time to post all of these rare patches!

Thanks so much for your gracious comment. The good feeling such appreciation provides is a motivation to post more.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best VMF patch!!!

Small tribute for my USN and USMC aviation gear collector life and post card from War&Peace show in England in 2010.

Cheers,

Jerry

post-369-0-32541000-1491681032_thumb.jpg

post-369-0-38631400-1491681155_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

A beautifully colorized WWII image of VMF-224.

VMF 224 F4U-1 Corsair #252. 4th Marines Aircraft Wing, Majuro Airstrip, Marshall Islands.

Planes being readied for fighter patrol due to radar picking up Japanese bombers headed for the Palau Islands.

VMF%20224%20F4U-1%20Corsair%20252%20%204