Operation Ugly Baby

riflegreen297

riflegreen297

I meant to post this yesterday but got busy. 22MAR17 was the 14th anniversary of the infiltration of 10th Special Forces Group ODAs into Northern Iraq via MC130s to link up with the Peshmerga for the 2003 Invasion. I was on the first bird into As Sulaymaniyah. We were 200 feet off the deck and lost #3 engine half way thru the flight. They got us to the fight all in one piece dodging a lot of ADA. Those crews flew their buttes off for us! The picture shows MC-130H 89-0280 'The... Highlander' of the 7th Special Operations Squadron passing over an Iraqi convoy which opened fire and hit the aircraft multiple times which lead to the aircraft having to divert into Turkey due to the damage and the aircraft was awarded the Purple Heart by members of the squadron due to the damage the aircraft sustained, this was the longest low level infiltration since World War II and longest in C-130 history.

post-4227-0-20834200-1490313387_thumb.jpg

Nice... good to see this.

Just last night finished SECDEF Rumsfeld's book, his perspective of GWOT lead-up and follow-through...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your post !

Here's a draft I made of the infiltration road taken by the 6 MC-130, based on the informations I collected for a study I'm writting related to Special Operations Forces In Northern Iraq.

sans_t10.jpg