Has anyone seen one of these?

Moonlight Gecko

Moonlight Gecko

I've had this for quite a while but never really knew what exactly it was for. It looks like a skullcap for receivers, but I don't know anything else. Does anyone know what they belong to? The snap is marked Rau F. Co. Prov R.I.

post-339-0-30899600-1490236392_thumb.jpg

I have a book, which I now can't locate, that has a photo, if I recall correctly, of a serviceman wearing one of these contraptions while sitting in a tent at a bank of radios. There were earphone receivers fitted into the sides of the harness. Hopefully someone else can provide a more detailed explanation as to when and where these were used.

Moonlight Gecko

Thanks for the info, guys!

It does look eerily similar to what that wrestler is wearing!

HBT- interesting about the British 19 set. The believe the metal snaps are US manufacture. If it is for the 19 set, do you think this was something made in the US for the British? or made in the UK with US parts?

pararaftanr2

I believe it is the head harness used with the Army's sound locator equipment that was part of a searchlight battery. Used pre-early WW2, before radar sets were generally available, they were meant to detect and amplify the sound of approaching aircraft engines. Sound was carried by tubes to the operator's ears, it was not electric.

post-9787-0-56199300-1490318293_thumb.jpg

post-9787-0-57620300-1490318306_thumb.jpg

post-9787-0-12701000-1490318340.jpg

TheMinistryOfAviation

How unbelievably strange...

It does appear similar to what he's wearing in these pictures though..

-Jeremy