WW 2 5th A/F bullion Ike, a little odd but may be legit

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

Here is a uniform I was watching on eBay a couple of weeks ago. It didn't sell so I contacted the owner and he lowered is price considerably. Also I posted a question here on the forum about the post aviation engrs patch(shield style)the Reply's I got were it was not official, unauthorized. But for the price I figured it was for the sum of parts. I received the uniform it looks great all the bullion patches are sewn and look original ,also the thread doesn't glow. Machine sewn also. The corp stripes are post war style, I'm thinking the vet might have transitioned to the army. Maybe sewn on when he got out not having a ww2 version of the aviation engrs. I know many uniform with non authorized patches. No name or ser# present. But for the price I made out just for the patches. Much nicer in person. Any thought on the aviation patch?post-11207-0-69527800-1490234036_thumb.jpg

doinworkinvans

I was watching this one too....I had no issues with it and would have been glad to have it. Good looking jacket.

Definitely a sum of parts Billy, as you noted the post 1952 chevrons, OD on Blue Twill, With the Air Corps collar disc, this wasn't worn anymore within the army after 1946-47 (type worn in the new Air Force was those Brass Ring type discs, with the new AF ranks, the famous Transitional IKEs), 5th Air Force? not worn as an organizational patch after 1946-47 (in the new Air Force, yes, on their Transitional IKEs).

The only thing I can think of is a vet piece.

BILL THE PATCH

I'm thinking vet piece, but I've seen stranger Ike's with way off base Insignia. I've seen Korean war Ike's with ww2 era stripes. Well anyway it displays nice.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking vet piece, but I've seen stranger Ike's with way off base Insignia. I've seen Korean war Ike's with ww2 era stripes. Well anyway it displays nice.

Well it's definitely the wear of that 5th AF patch on the organizational side past 1946-47(5th Air Force was no longer a part of the United States Army) not so much the chevrons, or it being a WWII IKE.

1950s IKEs. whether the older M44s or the new M51s seen with WWII type chevrons would be no problem, as these were worn along side the new types of Blue Twill after the army did away with those small 1948 Reg chevrons in late 1951.

BILL THE PATCH

I was thinking the bullion patches, ribbons, are from his ww2 uniform, the added stripes and aviation patch might be for his service after the war, and just added them to his old uniform. For veterans parades, or whatever. What's odd about the 5th, I have a identical one in my collection. Definitely ww2. Wasn't thinking about the collar disks, good catch

Im not sure how close the collar disc rule was followed.

Local vet was in the 25th Div late war then AF post war.His uniform was the Army Ike and had the new Airforce rank but he wore the solid discs

Im not sure how close the collar disc rule was followed.

Local vet was in the 25th Div late war then AF post war.His uniform was the Army Ike and had the new Airforce rank but he wore the solid discs

Normally would be the Brass Ring type.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57923-part-ii-early-us-air-force-transitional/

BILL THE PATCH

Yes doyler exactly, so many regulations went out the window. I often heard this was the golden age of patches meaning all kinds of insignia was worn, I guess that would apply to all Insignia. Soldier got away with all kinds of stuff. Not trying to convince myself of anything, but everything is period sewn, if it was a put together I can think of better patches to add then the aviation engrs. Just a gut feeling