General Borling

dskjl

So this and a few others I will be posting tonight are some holdovers from the show of shows that finally got here. I met the dealers at the show we talked made some deals and I have been waiting a while but there here now.

post-8016-0-46968700-1490228825_thumb.jpg

post-8016-0-84581800-1490228827_thumb.jpg

SIX AND A HALF YEARS AS A PRISONER OF WAR

Borling was a fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, where he was shot down by ground fire. Seriously injured in his crash, Captain Borling still attempted to commandeer a Vietnamese supply truck for his escape. He was able to gain control of a supply truck, but the truck was carrying Vietnamese regulars.[3] Captain Borling was soon overpowered by the soldiers and would spend the next 6½ years as a prisoner of war in Hanoi.[2] John Borling was released on February 12, 1973.

Main article: U.S. Prisoners of War during the Vietnam War

Subsequent to his return, he was an F-15 Eagle fighter pilot and commander of the “Hat in the Ring” squadron. He was an Air Division commander at Minot AFB, and Head of Operations for Strategic Air Command (SAC) in Omaha. In that position, he directed SAC’s support of hostilities in the first Gulf War and Panama and was charged with execution responsibilities for the nation’s nuclear war plan. At the Pentagon, he led CHECKMATE, a highly classified war fighting think tank and was Director of Air Force Operational Requirements helping initiate a new family of guided weapons. In Germany, he commanded the largest fighter and support base outside the United States and later served at NATO’s Supreme Headquarters in Belgium working directly for the Supreme Commander and Chief of Staff. He was central to the creation of HQ North in Norway and served as Chief of Staff of that integrated NATO/National command.