Best Web Image Hosting Website for Posting to this Forum?

Started by nuts121944 , Mar 20 2017 06:36 PM

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nuts121944

nuts121944
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,255
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forum and am trying to figure out how to post photos in my threads. Can anyone point me toward the best web image hosting website (preferably free) or else walk me through how to shrink my own photos so that they can easily be added to my postings? I would like to share photos of some of the uniforms that I have recently picked up but can't figure out how to upload the pictures as trying to add them directly from my computer leads to the error message saying that the photos are too large. Thanks so much for your help!

Best Regards,

Nick

#2 doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 96,964
  • 4,081 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

We do not allow outside Web hosting of photos.

You can use this resize tool that was created specifically for the forum by a member here

http://www.usmilitar...y-for-the-usmf/

#3 nuts121944

nuts121944
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,255
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the info. After posting here I did a bit more searching and found the tool that you linked and have since used it. I appreciate your quick response!

Best Regards,

Nick

#4 world war I nerd

world war I nerd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,143
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

I used to use the forum's photo resizing tool, but the last couple of times I used it, it actually made my images larger rather than smaller in size.

This led me to:

www.reduceimages.com

It's free and easy to use. So far I've resized, maybe 100 plus images without any drama and the resolution is nearly as good as the much larger original.

Plus it's only three steps - upload - resize & download.

I can't recommend it enough.

#5 Lawguns

Lawguns
  • Members
    • Member ID: 167,020
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:40 PM

Out of curiosity, why does the forum not allow outside image hosting?

#6 Squeaker

Squeaker
  • Members
    • Member ID: 113,106
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

Out of curiosity, why does the forum not allow outside image hosting?

Photobucket and similar hosting sites can purge their servers after so long or the people will pull the pics back off of the hosting site. This leads to older threads with lots of words, but no pics to show what was talked about. If you start going back to some of the older threads on USMF, you will see A LOT of dead links to pics.

#7 Lawguns

Lawguns
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

That makes sense.

#8 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

And here's but one example out of dozens upon dozens of topics, topics that were great/interesting, or an important point of reference, and in this case a item that appears not what it seems, but now are completely useless with little value, so useless in fact that if moderators see them or are tipped off about them, usually delete them as they serve no purpose and takes up space.

http://www.usmilitar...rne-jungle-top/

This above is an extreme example, as all the photos of the subject are removed Photobuckets. But there are others where a lot of images remain, they being posted in the prescribed way, but with a lot of the other photos that have been contributed to the topic that are removed offsite host images, this badly degrading the topic.

#9 Lawguns

Lawguns
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

In the example you have linked, try to cut and paste the link and still see the pictures. Might want to screen shot them or copy from photo. I let and post them on the server.

#10 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:51 AM

In the example you have linked, try to cut and paste the link and still see the pictures. Might want to screen shot them or copy from photo. I let and post them on the server.

Yes I understand that, have done that in the past just to see image because I was real curious to see what it was, sometimes the image is still there, more often than not, image is gone. In any event, members shouldn't have to go though all the trouble of doing that. Thankfully this has been rectified by ADMIN, by not allowing any more offsite hosts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)