Leave it on or take it off, what would you do?

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I found a pile of uniforms today and this was in the pile. I usually do not take patches off of uniforms. With that said, the buttons on this uniform are really corroded and there are slits in the left sleeve. The materiel that was inside the sleeves was also removed at some time. So what would you do? Would you take the SSI off or leave it as is? I also have a question why is the patch on the right sleeve, is that a USMC thing?

post-1412-0-02167700-1490046505.jpgpost-1412-0-48331400-1490046531.jpg

Garth Thompson

Why would you leave it on the uniform? It is obviously on the wrong arm. The USMC wore there unit patches on the left sleeve until discontinued in 1947. This coat looks like a put together.

Yeah, I'm with Garth on this one, strip the patch, the chevrons, and the hashmarks. Then get rid of the uniform unless you cut it up for case background material.

I have seen USMC Alphas direct from the veteran, with patches on both sleeves. This could have had them on both, and the left was removed. Or, I have heard of USMC veterans moving their division patch to the right sleeve, in lieu of a discharge diamond. I guess my point, is that there are many other-than-regulation examples that are still original.

Why would you leave it on the uniform? It is obviously on the wrong arm. The USMC wore there unit patches on the left sleeve until discontinued in 1947. This coat looks like a put together.

Manchu Warrior

I didn't even know the uniform had a patch on it until I got home. I also don't know much of anything about USMC uniforms. So, I didn't know if at some point the USMC had used combat patches on the right shoulder, as the Army does, and was it possible that the patch on the left shoulder had been removed. That is why I asked the question. With that said I decided to pull the patch off and I have a nice WWII era Gold Fist 2nd Marine Division patch. I now also believe that it was put together. Simply because there is no ghost at all where the patch was removed. There is also two different types of rank sewn to the uniform that I hadn't noticed. And I don't believe that any Marine would have tolerated that. I guess it is also possible that the lining was removed from the sleeves to hide the fact that the jacket was not from the correct era to have a unit patch sewn to it. I appreciate all the input. Thanks!!

post-1412-0-31418300-1490060113.jpgpost-1412-0-23872700-1490060124.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Nice patch, good eye catching the different Chevrons. I think your right no Marine would sew on different stripes, unless he did when he got home and picked up stripes wherever. Nah I dont think so.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Sgt. BARney

As far as era of this jacket, you can check the shoulder straps. If the end closest to the arm is stitched down in an "X" pattern, it is a WW2 era jacket. This was not used in later jackets. Also, all four of the front buttons on WW2 jackets will be the same. Later jackets had only three of the same, with the fourth button being plain (the fourth button is always hidden under the belt anyway). I am not sure when the jacket design officially changed, and of course the Marines would likely have issued all remaining older style jackets.

And BTW, I think would remove the patches too. Doesn't sound like enough info in the jacket to try to put together the vet's story, plus sounds like it has other issues.

Manchu Warrior

As far as era of this jacket, you can check the shoulder straps. If the end closest to the arm is stitched down in an "X" pattern, it is a WW2 era jacket. This was not used in later jackets. Also, all four of the front buttons on WW2 jackets will be the same. Later jackets had only three of the same, with the fourth button being plain (the fourth button is always hidden under the belt anyway). I am not sure when the jacket design officially changed, and of course the Marines would likely have issued all remaining older style jackets.

And BTW, I think would remove the patches too. Doesn't sound like enough info in the jacket to try to put together the vet's story, plus sounds like it has other issues.

There is an X and all four buttons are the same. I will take it to the flea market and try to sell it and I appreciate the information. Thanks!