Oddball AF Uniforms with 1st Ranger Bn Scrolls

hzamar

I bought a bunch of stuff that belonged to an Air Force officer. He obviously spent some time with 1st Ranger Bn overseas but I have no idea of when or where. The flight jacket has the scroll on the combat side but it is velcro and that by itself wouldn't give much indication of service since it could be applied and removed so easily, but his BDU top has scrolls on both shoulders and they are sewn. His ABU has jump wings and a senior level wing as opposed to the basic wing on the BDU. The multicam has the patches that were on it. The beret must have been from the BDU phase since it has corresponding captain rank.

I just thought I'd post them as something that seems too odd to be real but is real.

post-3742-0-85618400-1490016675_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-36308800-1490016689_thumb.jpg

Possibly a TACP attached to a Ranger battalion for air support?

AFAIK the Army patches were never authorized on USAF uniforms but the practice was "tolerated" especially if the USAF personnel in question were serving in their liaison capacity. We had USAF SOWT (Special Operations Weather Team) personnel assigned to us that wore the "electric butterknife" (SF patch) on their BDUS. They would even wear combat patches (right sleeve) if they qualified.

But they explained to me that when they went back to the "real Air Force" (i.e. when no longer attached to an Army unit) they would have to take the patches off.

aussie digger

Awesome uniform grouping, congratulations! I have looked for a similar group for a long time and they rarely show up!

I just find it interesting that a navigator becomes TACP.

Combat Systems Officer, now. They deal with smart weapons targeting among other things, so it doesn't seem too far out of line.

It used to be that jump wings on rated USAF officers usually meant FAC/TACP in their background somewhere, not sure if that's still the case.

Cool group!

Justin B.

carbinephalen

Jeez! He must have the shortest name I've ever seen since I've been in the AF! Haha

Great items, I would love to have been in on some of his assignments!

Great grouping and would have no problem having this in my personal collection. As Aussie Digger said, these type groupings rarely show up.

firefighter

​Sweet looking grouping.I remember seeing guys in the early 80's with 5th Infantry Division patches on their uniforms.I was stationed at England AFB at the time and Fort Polk wasn't to far away.I'm sure they were a TACP personal.