• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vincennes

Vincennes
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,319
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

I have been buying dog tags and other military items and returning them to families for several years. But I have accumulated a number of dog tags that I could not find any family members for. So here is a list of the ones I have with no homes. If you are a family member of one of these men (or know a family member) contact me. I will only list the name, city address (if shown) and an indicator of date from the tags. The dog tags are free to family members.

1) James C Mood, Wichita Kansas (T42)

2) John E Strahle, Brooklyn NY (T43)

3) Benjamin C Lacy (T 53)

4) James H Joyce (Social Security number as serial number)

5) Brendan J Joyce (Social Security number as serial number)

Paul

#2 Vincennes

Vincennes
  • Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

Oops! One more.

6) Edward E Smith (T57)

Paul

#3 Battling Bastard

Battling Bastard
  • Members
    • Member ID: 166,971
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Very kind of you to do this! I hope you find those descendants. 

#4 MTracey

MTracey
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 168,737
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

I also want to thank you and encourage you.  As someone looking for my Grandfather's medals, I appreciate your effort.

#5 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,812
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

Well, here is a little info about one of them, in hopes that someone might be interested and find this! Is this one still available, actually?

Here is his wedding picture:

1943 Wedding pic.JPG

1943 Wedding pic 2.JPG

(The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 31 Jan 1943)

OBIT:

JOHN E. STRAHLE, a retired salesman, died yesterday in Brooklyn, N. Y. Mr. Strahle was 61 and lived on South Street. He was born in New York and lived there before moving here in 1956. He was a salesman for several companies before retiring in 1974. He was an Army veteran of World War II Surviving are his wife, the former Dorothy Dempsey; three sons, Thomas, Eatontown, John Jr., West Windsor Township, and Richard, Little Silver; a daughter, Miss Patricia, Boston; a sister, Mrs. Margaret Brown, Raleigh, N.C. and five grandchildren.

(Asbury Park Press, 12 January 1981)

#6 Vincennes

Vincennes
  • Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

Good news! One of the 6 dog tags I listed above has been returned to the family. The tag belonging to John E Strahle was mailed to his son in NY.

A lead by ram957 did not pan out, but then stratasfan provided the info posted above and privately provided an email address for John's son. After an exchange of emails I mailed the tag back to him. He was surprised but pleased that I found it and said it brought back a lot of memories. He said he had no idea how it ever got to Tulsa, OK.

So thanks to ram957 and stratasfan for their help. Now we need to work on the other 5 dog tags.

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)