AF Nurse tags

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

I picked up this interesting set of tags the other day. According to Braddocks Dog Tags the AN prefix is for Air Force Nurses. It has a T61 date. It is also interesting that it is a notched tag.

Thanks for looking,

BKW

post-1549-0-70189200-1489717168.jpg

From what I read the T = Tetanus. The T-61 meant she got her Tetanus shot in 1961. The notch is common. If I remember correctly, the notch was how the stamping machine held or positioned the tag before stamping. It has nothing to do with being used for kicking a tag betwixt ones teeth. I don't think there's anything unusual about the notch unless it's on the nurses syringe or enema tip. Ouch.

Brian Keith

Thanks for your comments mds308, I was thinking the 1961 tetanus date was pretty late. But just now looked a bit more and Braddock states an Army Regulation in 1958 removes the tetanus shot date from the tag, but said Air Force tags could be found with the date on it almost all through the '60's. In 1965 the notch was removed, no doubt it took years to get them out of the system, I was thinking the notch was removed earlier. The most unusual thing was being a AF Nurse.<br />BKW

One of my better tags was an early WWII Army Nurse with a thumb print back. It was bought and sold almost 20 years ago.

I wasn't sure about your "notch" comment. I guess I misinterpreted it. I learned something from your post too. Thanks.

Brian Keith

An Army Nurse tag with a thumb print back would be quite unusual. Must have been made by the Navy, possibly a replacement. Thanks for your comments.

BKW