4 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdean

Rogerdean
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 162,463
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hi

I am doing a reenactment in Dijon France i have a PX and I would like to change the unit identification markings on my jeep with 2nd AD quatermaster Co or supply bn

2Δ X SOS A—10 could this be correct ?
thanks for your help

Roger

#2 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:40 PM

I don't think the SOS part of your proposed bumper number is correct.

Shelby Stanton's "WWII Order of Battle" shows the 2AD Having a Service Company, 2nd Armored Division.  The Division Trains had:  HHC, Maintenance Battalion, Supply Battalion and 48th Armored Medical Battalion.

I am not certain how the Service Company or Supply Battalion for a division marked their vehicles.

I have a copy of a publication regarding vehicle markings.  If I can find it, it might answer the question.  In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, you might ask on the WWII Jeep Forum website at:  www.g503.com  You will have to join the forum, but I believe it is still free and pretty painless.  Lots of knowledgeable folks there that can probably help you.

I'll keep looking for that book and let you know if I find it.

#3 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Wow!  I found it already!  It is a reprint of AR 850-5 (Army Regulation 850-5) dated August 5, 1942.

It gives an example of what I think you are looking for:

1(triangle)-1Q--A-10A-10........10th vehicle, Co A, Sup Bn, 1st Armd Div.

In your case, you would want:  2(triangle)-2Q--A-10

The Q stands for Quartermaster, and the rest is explained.  In case you didn't know:  the 2(triangle) should be on the left as you are looking at the front of the jeep (passenger side),  and the A-10 should be on the right as you are looking at it (driver's side).

I hope this helps!

#4 Rogerdean

Rogerdean
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 162,463
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

STEVE thank you so much !! i have been looking on the net for some time ,i will do has you suggest , i'll check it out  on that forum ,thanks again for your help

regards Roger

#5 Steve B.

Steve B.
  • Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

You're welcome, Roger!

Be sure to post some photos!

Are you by any chance going to participate in the 2nd Armored's CCB in northern France in July?  I ask because I am planning to be there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)