PRE WW1 USMC CANTEEN

Texas36th

I picked up this canteen cover today at an estate sale. I got lucky when the first put it back down. I know its a prewar USMC canteen set but not the year it was produced. I believe the canteen and cup where made by Rock Island so I am hoping RIA made the cover also. Has a nice USMC stamp on the inside flap and the snaps are pattened dated Oct 03, 1905. The cover is in great condition except for some oxidation on the one snap. Any help on the dated these are produced would be great.

post-13045-0-26591700-1489680948_thumb.jpg

post-13045-0-20380700-1489680973_thumb.jpg

post-13045-0-78788900-1489680982_thumb.jpg

post-13045-0-37894200-1489681002_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's an amazing set. I love the colors and the early canteen too.

I don't have my notes with me but will try to look it up tonight (if someone else doesn't do it first).

Thinking 1912-1914 era.

DQP made as far as I recall.

Alec will hopefully weigh in or send him a pm.He wrote Equipping the Corps.

Thanks for the kind replys. I was really lucky to get this one. It was the only military in the whole house. Now I have to hear the wife ask if i am going to sell it.

Thanks for the kind replys. I was really lucky to get this one. It was the only military in the whole house. Now I have to hear the wife ask if i am going to sell it.

After you sell it she will probably buy you dinner.....

Thats a beaut!!...can we see a shot of the back pls....what does something like this go for if you dont mind me asking...just curious...mike

Heres the back of the canteen. Sorry for the bad lighting this late. As for value , I don't have the foggest idea on that. I never thought I would be able to afford this early cover.

post-13045-0-95908400-1489715044_thumb.jpg

Schnicklfritz

That is a nice pick up. I can't believe how much the canteen and cup still shine from being polished back in the day.

Thanks for the responses on this canteen plus the help on the canteen dates. It helps a lot to know the dates these were produced.

When did these flatter type of canteen caps change to the more round over style that we normally see on WW1 canteens?

There is no change on the drawings to indicate the change to a more rounded top on the cap. Since they appear to all be on canteens with the neck collar and not on canteens with the rings, best guess is early 1917.

Thanks again guys. I don't know what I did to earn it but the universe really paid off on this one. I promise to take great care of the canteen.