Any guess where these pictures were taken? WWII

No Quarter

Hello, I bought these pictures and would like to know if there is any way to locate where they are by observing their uniforms and equipment? I know it's not much to work with but I've seen some pictures identified from small details before.

Thanks,

Jacob

post-162535-0-76254100-1489537941_thumb.jpg

post-162535-0-81190100-1489537944.jpg

Are there any paper stamps, or other marks on the backs of the photos? Sometimes the photo format, paper, etc, alone can help identify time / place.

Garandomatic

It could be anywhere in Europe around the Winter of 1944, but it could also be Korea... I have read that after the limited stocks of "new" stuff wore out in Korea, they went through the surplus they had, so you see lots of WWII stuff here and there. I would think that there would at least be an M43M50 or maybe even M1951 if they were Korean pictures, though. Beyond that, I think it's pretty much impossible to narrow down further.

Are there any paper stamps, or other marks on the backs of the photos? Sometimes the photo format, paper, etc, alone can help identify time / place.

Unfortunately they are blank.

Jacob

Nice looking medic helmet marking..

Leigh

The medic helmet caught my eye so I had to get them haha.

Jacob

The picture with the tree line kind of reminds me of that scene in Fury when they assault the artillery in the forest. I think it might be Germany but I guess they will remain a mystery. I'll go back to the antique store I got them and see if there are more of them.

Jacob

post-162535-0-19860100-1489590789_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the responses! I will post more pictures if I can find any more related to these two because the owner has a basket of military photos.

Jacob

I think I'll go back on my Korea location guess as I think the jackets they're wearing are WW2 issue. As to location, I'm not sure now. I believe the jackets that two of the soldiers are wearing are Olive Drab Cotton Field Jacket (also known as OD Cotton Field Jacket, Parsons Jacket, M-1938 or M-1941) is a field jacket used by US Army soldiers, most famously during the beginning of World War II. In 1941 it started to be phased in as a replacement for the wool four pocket service coat, but around 1943 it was replaced in turn by an improved M-1943 model. Due to wide adoption, M-1941 is usually recognized as a symbol of the World War II American G.I.. The jacket was made in a lighter shade of olive drab called OD number 3. The jacket was modeled after a civilian windbreaker design, and was constructed of an olive drab shade 3 cotton poplin outer shell with an olive drab wool flannel lining, with shell color on new jackets was a pale pea-green color, but faded fairly quickly with heavy use and sun exposure to the more common beige-green. The jacket had a front zipper front closure with a buttoned storm flap. The jacket also had buttons at the collar for closing the lapels to warm the neck region, as well as buttoned adjusting tabs on each side of the waist and at the cuffs to seal in body heat, and buttoned shoulder epaulets. There were two front slash pockets and a notched lapel collar. Earlier models of the jacket (M-38 Parsons jacket) do not have the shoulder epaulets, but the two front slash pockets had buttoned pocket flaps and a thinner half-belt back seam.

I went back to the shop today and bought two more pictures that were with the ones previously posted. The one with the cat is not dated but is the same location as the old post. However, the one with the GI holding the M1 is dated 1943 but I don't know if it is related to the other pictures.

Jacob

post-162535-0-84298600-1489789218_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

I'll stick with my first guess, they scream winter in sunny Italy.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk