Kitbashed Curtiss HS-2L Chatham NAS 1918

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

Chatham Naval Air Station here on Cape Cod was a birthplace of Naval Aviation. Shortly after America's entry into WWI, the blimps and flying boats stationed there were active in patrolling the East Coast for prowling German U-boats. There was a squadron of the big Curtiss HS-2L'S at Chatham

I kitbashed this HS-2L from the Roden 1/72 Curtiss H-16 kit. It required a great deal of surgery, as the H-16 was a lot bigger than the HS-2L and its fuselage lines and tail differed rather significantly as well. When I was done I just couldn't resist ginning up a tiny Davis gun to mount on the nose. The Davis gun was the original recoil-less cannon, which simultaneously shot a 6 lb shell out one end and six pounds of counterbalancing shot and grease out the other. For those of you who, like myself, were wondering -- yes, it had to be done very carefully to avoid holing the fuselage or the Liberty engine with the counterbalancing shot!

post-12350-0-61508200-1489536445.jpgpost-12350-0-76884900-1489536432.jpgpost-12350-0-50297200-1489536466_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nice job. I always enjoy other modelers kitbashing projects. I've done it on occasion and I like seeing what other modelers produce.

Semper Fi.

Manny