Question about a 414th. NFS Officer

Vincennes

Saturday at a flea market in Tulsa, OK I bought a collection of about 150 photos belonging to someone from the 414th. Night Fighter Squadron during WW2. It is a great collection with lots of people photos, nose art (9 different), aerial shots, and European city scenery. Unfortunately the person who took the photos is never identified.

The dealer said he got it from another dealer from Oklahoma City, but my dealer did not know anything more about the collection. The only photo with anything written on the back is the one shown below. On the back it says: "Capt. Atwater and I together in England". I think that refers to Capt. Charnley K. Atwater.

I assume the man on the left is Capt. Atwater from the way the quote was phrased and he is wearing Captain's bars, but I am not sure. Can anyone identify the other officer? I have searched the www and found very few identified officer photos from the 414th. NFS, perhaps someone has a book with some identifications?

Thanks, Paul.

post-2319-0-29650000-1489441918_thumb.jpg

I THINK I have identified the other man in this photo and therefore the owner of the 414th. NFS photos I bought at the flea market. I sent the photo to Russell A. Strine, President of the Mid Atlantic Air Museum (where they are restoring a P-61). He did not recognise the man but sugested it might be Atwater's RO. His name was David L. McAee, F/O according to a book Russ had. I had no luck with that name and had never seen a name with 3 vowels in a row like that, so I assumed it was a typo. Looking through the photos I had I came across the photo below (extreme enlargement below) of a sign in front of a tent listing the residents. Notice there is a F/O D. L. McAbee. So I thought this might be Atwater's RO.

Sure enough I found an obituary for USAF Lt. Col., Ret. David L. McAbee, Sr., 89, of Midwest City, died April 11, 2004. According to his obituary he flew 97 missions as a navigator for the P61 Black Widow. He was highly decorated for his actions during WWII receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters and the Presidential Citation. Since Midwest City is a suburb of Oklahoma City where these pictures were obtained that fits too. Also according to the obituary he had sons living in the OKC area, so I assume one of them disposed of the photos long after his fathers death.

Now, if I can only find a photo of David L. McAbee, Sr. during WW2 to compare to my photo it will be definate.

Paul

post-2319-0-35170100-1489701359_thumb.jpg