Removing white silver dip residue from sterling items

Kropotkin

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on the best way to remove the white residue from silver dip on sterling wings without polishing them to a shine or damaging the finish too much. I tend not to touch the patina on silver items but I have a couple of wings that are caked with the stuff which just looks horrid. Any suggestions welcome!

Hello,

I don't hesitate one second to clean most of the silver insignia and sweetheart jewelry I own if they need it. Remember these items were nice and clean when they were bought. IMO they were never meant to be worn with a dark, heavy, near black patina or a bunch of white cleaning residue on them. That said I'm not a fan of dipping insignia and such in a solution, it's over kill. You could start by try to clean the insignia with warm water, soft soap and your fingers. I also like to use a silver cleaning cloth, like you would use to clean silver dinnerware (Blitz Silver Cleaning Clothing). This type of cleaning cloth usually has two clothes sewn, one for cleaning and one for polishing. After a gentle wiping and polishing I rinse them in warm water and a small amount of soft soap using just my fingers. I like the results and have found it works well on all types of silver insignia. Again, why display Insignia if it is tarnished so heavily that you can't see any of the details. Just my thoughts

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

• 11 months later...

The absolute best reference on silver care on the internet is on silversmith Jeffrey Herman's website:

http://www.hermansilver.com/care.htm

The advice there follows the best practices of the museum industry. If you care about your silver artifacts you owe it to yourself to at least read it.

Chris

• 4 years later...
Gingersnaps
On 3/13/2017 at 11:03 AM, Kropotkin said:

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on the best way to remove the white residue from silver dip on sterling wings without polishing them to a shine or damaging the finish too much. I tend not to touch the patina on silver items but I have a couple of wings that are caked with the stuff which just looks horrid. Any suggestions welcome!

Gingersnaps

Hi there Kropotkin!

You posted that a long long time ago... I came across this site because I was searching for the same answer.  Although I couldn't find an online answer... I did find a solution that worked great. I'm writing it here in case someone else needs the answer someday.  After I dip polished sterling silver candle sticks into the same tarnish remover you mentioned  I thought I had ruined them as a white residue appeared everywhere.  I tried many products and finally found the one that removed it very nicely! "Never Dull!"   My son used it at VMI years ago... to polish brass buttons and buckles... it comes in a can and js cotton with polishing compound in the cotton.  Get it online or at a hardware store.  
Sterling is sparkling silver now! 

• 3 months later...

I would avoid toothpaste. It looks good at first but can ruin the surface over time. A very soft brush and water should be fine.

I always use a toothpick to get off stubborn residue from wings and then soak it in alcohol and then soap & water it works great.