WWI Balloon Pilots uniform

ateam69

I know it's a long shot, but I just picked up a Balloonists uniform, and was hoping to see if any of you had pictures of the man who wore it. Since there weren't too many Ballon Pilots back in the day, and the patch is pretty obvious, I figured I might have a shot!

Judging from the pics which leave a bit to be desired, I'd say it looks pretty good! But then again that's a bit out of my field also so that's my 2¢

Well it's a very nice piece man and one I wouldn't mind having in my collection. Congrats on the find and best of luck!

I ended up finding a picture of a 1st Army Balloon Corp patch almost identical to the one on my uniform. Hopefully this will help authenticate the uniform, since the back of this one can be seen in the second picture. The balloon looks to be hand stitched. I doubt anyone now days could replicate the patch, but then again, I don't know.

Most of the balloonists are listed in unit books with pictures. I have the book somewhere but would take too much to find it. Not sure which unit yours is attributed too. Good luck.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yeah, I found a book with information on balloonists insignia, but it is priced at $60. That's a pretty big gamble for something that may or may not help identify this patch. I figured I would try here first

TheMinistryOfAviation

Very cool patch.

I've never seen one like that.

Top notch embroidery compared to most patches of the day.

-Jeremy

I am not a fan of the patch, close up of the wing would help. I have had the good fortune to handle several Aeronaut and balloon uniforms and patches and all the originals I have encountered were constructed in the same manner. The blue balloon was always sewn to a mustard color background and separately attached either to the lower portion of the 1st Army patch or below it. Attached are pic of an original balloon patch received directly from the vet prior to his passing on back in the 80's. Also those officers that were designated as "Aeronauts" were all in the Air Service and would have worn the wing and prop insignia which replaced the signal flags in July 1918. Since he is wearing an overseas stripe that would indicate a period in which the Air Service insignia would have been in effect. Is the uniform named in any way?

post-6022-0-34372600-1489740890_thumb.jpg

I appreciate your response. I do not have a name with the uniform, just stencilled on the inside sleeve is the name "Dobb's". The winged signal corps flag insignia appear to have been attached to the uniform for many years. Could this pilot have finished his tour before July 1918? The price that I paid for the uniform makes me think that no one would put this uniform together, but then again I don't know. Here is a response to an email I sent to the author of "The insignia, uniforms, and equipment of the U.S. Army Balloon Corps".

"Looks like a very nice uniform. The wing badge and insignia are similar to ones in my book. I do have all the rosters for the various balloon companies and I will dig through them to find your guy, and let you know which one. I'll also send you any photos of that group, if I have any."

Richard D