Old Kelly Field

cwnorma

I had some business over on old Kelly Air Force Base and saw a few more interesting architectural details I thought I would share with my fellow early aviation enthusiasts:

post-594-0-53693100-1489207759.jpg

The plaque remains from when Kelly AFB was still open. The location is approximately at the east end of what would have been Kelly Field Number 1, on "Old Road" in front of the 1922 hangar.

post-594-0-66420300-1489207770.jpg

Interesting architectural detail from the 1922 hangar. This hangar was the first permanent, concrete hangar built for the then-still new Air Service. Not long after adoption of the Adams-design wing, some architect thought this immense, and grandiose wing would make for a striking embellishment. Today, the large, 2-bay hangar sits vacant, slowly deteriorating.

There isn't much left of Kelly Field Number 1 that can be recognized today besides the "Old Road," the 1922 hangar, and the 1920s housing area. Most of the 1920s housing is still standing, but it is private property. The old Base Commander's house and Vice Commander's house appear to be occupied so I din't photograph those. The rest are in various stages of decay. The small, unaccompanied officer bungalows still stand at the site:

post-594-0-93680200-1489208741_thumb.jpg

Another excellent thread topic Chris! Thank you for posting.

Copied from the book "Kelly Field in the Great World War" and dated 1918, this Aerial Photography Squadron #39 Officer's image is adorned with a similar upswept wing design...

IMG_04571.JPG

IMG_04611.JPG

Russ,

Thanks for the kind words. I have, with the centennial upon us, developed a morbid fascination with the mortal remains of the WW1 era Air Service training fields. Thus far in my travels I have stood upon:

- Love Field (Modern International Airport -- no WW1 era remains)

- Kelly Field Number 1 (part of Port San Antonio/Lackland AFB -- no WW1 era remains besides roads)

- Kelly Field Number 2 (part of Lackland AFB -- the WW1 era "Ditch" remains on the North side of what was the flight line, now a taxiway and roads)

- Brooks Field (Brooks City Base -- Hangar 9, the last unmodified WW1 hangar in the US, and the crescent shape of the field roads remains)

- Carlstrom Field (now a juvenile prison -- all WW1 era concrete foundations remain--pretty neat!)

- Dorr Field (now a state prison -- WW1 "lemon" shape of airfield still visible)

- Bolling Field (no WW1 remains)

- Call Field (Call Field Road only remnant no other WW1 remains)

- McCook Field (no WW1 remains)

- Wright Field (part of Wright-Patterson AFB, no WW1 remains, home of USAF museum)

- Langley Field (part of Langley AFB, no WW1 remains)

- Ellington Field (part of Ellington Air Reserve Base, no WW1 remains)

- Taylor Field (nothing but farmland--no WW1 remains)

- Penn Field (industrial park -- no WW1 remains)

- Eberts Field (WW1 concrete foundations remain--neat!)

- Payne Field (no WW1 structures except the Post road)

- Gerstner Field (very inaccessible but all WW1 era concrete remains--pretty neat)

There are many more and I will try to get to those as well--as time and travels allow.

Cheers!

Chris

Chris, with seventeen Air Service Training Fields already behind you, it sure looks like you're well on your way to accomplishing that formidable goal! Of course, once you complete your mission of checking out each stateside training field, you'll need to expand your efforts to include those WWI era training fields located in England and France! It sounds like a noble cause and a great time!

Coincidentally, I recently picked up an 24" X 8" group photo with the heading, "Flying Cadets Air Service Casual Company #1. Trained at Issoudoun, France. Returned on the 'Texan' April 28, 1919." About a third of them are wearing wings. It appears the war ended before they completed their Pilot training or assigned to forward units... and sent home as a group.

IMG_04681.JPG

IMG_04722.JPG

IMG_04711.JPG

Back to Kelly Field... Here's a February 1931 graduation announcement and program for a class of Flying Cadets.

IMG_04631.JPG

IMG_04641.JPG

IMG_04671.JPG