Named & numbered 1880's Service Medal. Tiffany & Co. Pvt. E. Love

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

Named & numbered 1880's Service Medal. Tiffany & Co.

Private Edward J. Love.Pro Patria et Gloria. From the motto, I would think it's New York. From the cannons, artillery. I was a bit surprised to see this type of service medal made by Tiffany.

Any information in regard to the medal or the Private Edward J Love is much appreciated.

Andy

post-154922-0-21747900-1489198970.jpg

post-154922-0-88287700-1489198982.jpg

Garth Thompson

Named & numbered 1880's Service Medal. Tiffany & Co.

Private Edward J. Love.Pro Patria et Gloria. From the motto, I would think it's New York. From the cannons, artillery. I was a bit surprised to see this type of service medal made by Tiffany.

Any information in regard to the medal or the Private Edward J Love is much appreciated.

Andy

Tiffany actually made quite a few medals for the New York Regiments. They also made the first issue NY Conspicuous Service Cross.

Jennings Lane

Thanks for the information. I'll try today to see if I can find out anything more about Edward Love.

Unfortunately, New York has pulled down its data base of traceable state medals (I hope it's only temporary), which might list his state long service medals. This one is the 7th Regiment Long and Faithful Service Medal (much later renumbered 107th Infantry). A Google search on Love's name should pull up something. For example, a man of this name was involved in a major lifesaving incident in 1913 and received a bronze medal.

The pendant appears to be silver-colored. If that's true, it's a 15-year service award. The low serial number and date indicate it was among the first LFSMs issued by the 7th NY. The 10-year version used the same design but the pendant was bronze. In time the silver pendant was replaced by a sterling silver 15-year bar attached ladder-fashion to the broach. All of the LFSMs were made by Tiffany and they were all named, the vast majority in the beautiful running script you see here. The naming would very often include the recipient's company letter. Also, the medal has been re-ribboned. The original ribbon would have been either solid red (if all of the service was in the 7th NY/107th) or solid corn-flower blue if part of the service was with another unit. The crossed-cannons refer to the 7th NY's lineage, it began as an artillery unit.